14. uncertainty

SHE groaned in defeat as she ran the brush through her frizzy hair again and again

SHE groaned in defeat as she ran the brush through her frizzy hair again and again. It was a wavy mess, untamable. It made her frustrated as tears pricked her eyes, chest pounding. "Fuck," she cried out as tears fell, throwing the brush against the bathroom wall. She felt choked up as her breathing was shaky and weak, stumbling back to lean on the doorframe for support. She was adorned in a baggy pastel green tee-shirt that just about covered her white shorts that hung on her. To be out of hospital garbs was a blessing. But her eyes appeared sunken in as her bags were dark below them. There was hardly any color to her skin from the lack of sunlight, and her lack of nutrition catching up.

"Chi are you okay?" Sakura's voice called out against the bathroom door hearing the commotion.

"Yeah I'm good!" Chihiro called back, trying to make her voice sound normal.

Everyone insisted she stay in the hospital for a few days, to keep herself under constant supervision in case the cloak figure struck again. And because they worried for Chihiro's sake. She was all too familiar with hospitals back in Yggdrasil, spending quite a bit of time there in the last few years. With the few days that passed, her mental state had improved. Chihiro came to terms with her attempt had been out of her control, that she didn't make the choice for herself. It was sickening that someone would control someone's mind to do such a heart wrenching act. Chihiro wanted the man caught. Wanted him to suffer in ways he was making her suffer.

Chihiro took a deep breath before she exited the bathroom that was attached to the room she'd been kept in, "I'm good. Just, hair wasn't working for me."

Sakura smiled at her kindly, nodding in understanding, "want me to help?"

"No no, don't bother. It's fine for now." Chihiro felt overwhelmed by the frustration towards her hair, towards her situation, and her chest was pounding. She wanted to scream, to cry, to throw something harder than the way she threw her brush. Wanted to cease all functions and show every emotion coursing through her. And the difficulty of holding it in was clawing at her to be set free.

"Okay." They needed to be patient, understanding with Chihiro. Sakura had gathered everyone to explain to them how fragile of a state she was in. Nothing that could upset her should walk through the door to be brought to her. Any sort of mind control jutsu was nothing to play with, the effects they were having on her were plenty. Confusion and hurt, and regret. And Sakura was scared it would bring Chihiro to decide to end her life without the jutsu. That it could have been the plan all along- to have her saved then Chihiro end it under her own pretenses. So they walked on tiptoes around her to be safe.

Chihiro felt weak, felt tiny in the baggy clothes that adorned her. She felt utterly exhausted, her spirit drained like she could sleep for days. And she would if Sakura didn't keep waking her.

Knowing her burdens was what made her despair at that point. Many of Akira's words and the scrolls read came to haunt her. Perhaps it was the knowledge that made her question if throwing herself off the cliff really was a bad idea. She was eighteen getting ready to graduate her academy just months ago, now burdened. Unlike the shinobi of Konoha who knew what they were signing up for with danger, she was not prepared. Chihiro didn't want her life to fall apart as it felt like it was slowly slipping through her fingers. A feeling of woe rising from the depths of her chest like it was going to grab her and drag her down.