15. hot springs

THE steaming water of the onsen wafted into Chihiro's senses

THE steaming water of the onsen wafted into Chihiro's senses. Her naked body enveloped by the bubbling water that kept her warm compared to the crisp night around her. Twinkling stars shimmered down on her private outdoor onsen, a tiny pool lined with beautiful rocks and flowers, and a fence outlining the small area. She already felt refreshed, skin velvety smooth as her fingers danced across her arms up and down. Feeling warmth rise into her as it'd been ten minutes, her cheeks flushed with red, as she rested her head back dipping farther into the water. It was just below her head, her long locks tied up and out of the way best she could. Chihiro's eyes fluttered closed as a small tug of her lips formed, her body decompressed as its tension washed away.

"I maayy have told Neji your plans, in passing!" Chihiro giggled as she recalled recalled Sakura's words as she dragged her to the hot spring thirty minutes ago. Chihiro remembered the butterflies in her stomach as she readied herself for the onsen, showering off and taking in the sights.

She hoped Neji would stop by, even if it made no sense for him to, or even though the fact her bare body was covered by water dark from the stones. The thought of him possibly seeing her like that should have made her scared, nervous yet she thought nothing of it. She trusted him, knowing he'd never make the situation uncomfortable for her. That he made her feel safe and warm, she adored him so why wouldn't she want him to see her like this? No guy ever had before. Perhaps her hopes were too high but, why else would Sakura tell her? So her chest felt like a mixture of fluttering worry and excitement- all anticipation as she'd eye the entrance to her private onsen.

And it was when she let her guard down minutes later did a knock come from the doorway where curtains covered. Her heart jolted, body sitting straight up as her arms went to immediately cover her chest. Neji stood in the doorway with a blush, eyes widened at the sight of her. He was holding his shoes, wearing sandals the onsen provided with wet feet. Seeing her bare shoulders out from the water as she hid herself made his stomach drop, butterflies taking over. It was painful the way his limbs went numb and he slowly walked towards her.

"Hey," he hadn't seen her in a few days. He'd only visited her once while she was in the hospital, so this was over due. Seeing her had pulled at his heart strings throughout his absence, wanting to know of the thoughts in her head or where she was. Neji would find his fingernails digging into the palm of his hands from them balled into fists deep in thought. So finally feeling her aura dance along with his chakra was relieving.

"Hi." she smiled, absolutely nervous as fireworks blossomed in her chest. For a moment she wanted to cover herself up completely, wondering how for even a second how she'd feel okay like this.

"Mind if I sit here?" he pointed to the ground hardly feet away from her.

"Of course not." Chihiro watched as he sat down at the onsen's edge, dipping his washed off feet in. She felt herself sigh in either relief or disappointment in the fact he wasn't joining her in the water.