Kili

a/n- So sorry for taking so long to publish this! Had some things going on this week that made it impossible to find a spare moment to write.

*Y/n and Kili have been friends for years and admit their feelings for one another*

-70 years prior-

"Kili! Wait up!" I yelled to my best friend as we charged through the fields.

"You're too slow y/n!" He said as he laughed and seemed to pick up his pace, if that was even possible. Eventually he slowed down as he tired out, which gave me a chance to finally catch up with him. I was breathing heavily and so was Kili. We both had to rest for a while to catch our breaths.

"You wanna race to the stream?" I asked, giddily.
"You sure you wanna challenge me?" He laughed. I joined in and replied, "I need to redeem myself."
"Alright, you're on!" And in an instant we were both in a mad dash to the stream that was about 30 feet away from us. Dwarves are natural sprinters, so it wasn't too difficult of a task.

It all would've been alright had something unexpected not happened. As Kili and I were running, all of the sudden, WHAM! We ran head on into a bulky structure. We look up to see a very unamused Thorin glaring down at us.

"Kili, y/n. Have you two been out here all day?" He questioned.
Both of us were silent as we nodded our heads slowly, not knowing what to anticipate.

"May I remind you both that you were given strict instructions to be home before noon?Your mother has been worried sick, Kili. She asked me to come and find you. That was over an hour ago. Come, we are going home immediately." He left no room for debate. Thorin scares me sometimes.

Kili and I walked close to each other as we walked behind the angry dwarf and exchanged a mischievous look between us.

That wouldn't be the last stunt we pulled and everyone knew that.

-present day-

"Ki-Kil-haha! Kili PLEASE!" I laughed as he tackled me and tickled me relentlessly.

"No! Not until you agree not to go on this quest." He laughed while speaking, but I knew there was a hint of seriousness behind his threat. Thorin has planned to set out upon a quest to reclaim the kingdom of Erebor and is asking for volunteers. Of course Kili and Fili going along was a given. After all, Fili may one day rule as King. When I stepped forward, I earned a glare from Kili that I knew would turn into a lecture later. Gods, I love him to death, but those lectures of his... Anyway, that is what has brought us to this point.

I muster up all my strength to try and flip him over to get away from his grasp, but he is too strong. I lightly kick his leg and it is enough to cause it to give out. My intention was for me to then flip him over so that I may escape, but alas, it does not work. Instead, we end up in an awkward situation. His face was directly above mine, meaning that when he fell, our lips brushed together. Both mine and Kili's eyes went wide and our faces turned a bright shade of pink.

"I'm sorry." I whisper.

"Oh no no y/n, it was my fault!" He insisted.

Kili quickly rose to his feet and offered his hand to help me up. He doesn't let go though.

"Kinda been waiting for that moment my whole life..." He admitted.

My heart skipped a beat. The dwarf I have known for so long, have loved for so long, returns my affections?

I look up at him and quietly say, "me too."

He pulls me towards him by my arm, which puts us face to face. He gently placed his other hand on my cheek and stared into my eyes intensely. He seems to be searching for something. Insincerity, perhaps? When he finds no trace of whatever he was looking for, he cautiously brings his lips down to meet mine. He pauses right before they connect though, almost as if he was unsure if I was ok with it. I assure him that it is alright by closing the gap between us. He smiles into the kiss which makes my heart flutter. We eventually disconnect and just enjoy the moment. I snake my arms around in neck, resting my head on his shoulder, while he wraps his arms around my waist.

"I wish you would reconsider going on this quest, y/n." He quietly says.

"I want to though. Erebor belongs to our people. Why should I not help take back what is ours? Give me one good reason."

"I have one, and it is fire breathing." His grip on me tightens.

"Smaug doesn't frighten me. Your Uncle on the other hand..." I joke.

Kili laughs and replies, "oh he scares me too, don't worry."

We both laugh and eventually settle down for the evening. It is late when I finally return home, but not without Kili's protest. I go to bed with a smile on my face knowing that my love has not been unrequited as I thought.