Bilbo Baggins

*y/n is from our world and has been living in Hobbiton for 10 months with Bilbo*

-Old draft

"What a peculiar girl," mumbled one of the elders as I passed by.
I have learned to ignore their comments over the past few months, but it hasn't been easy. With some help from Bilbo, I am finally comfortable enough in myself to even go to the market alone. I am short for a human, only about 5'2", but I still tower over the hobbits. It makes me feel awkward whenever I interact with them.

I take a slight detour through the woods as I make my way through the town. I sigh as I feel the cool, light breeze tickle my face. It is the end of October now in Middle Earth. I remember this time of year back home. I recall the laughter of children as they scurry around the fallen leaves and chatter about their Halloween costumes. Oh Halloween, I miss it dearly. It was always one of my favorite holidays. They do not celebrate it here, which I find tragic. I reroute, and continue on my way back into the center of Hobbiton.

Bilbo sent me on an errand while he worked in his office. I've grown quite fond of the young, charming hobbit. I stroll through the market and pick up each item that he had requested. I paid the last merchant and began to walk home. Something stopped me dead in my tracks though. Two gorgeous pumpkins! I couldn't resist buying them. How could I? Bilbo had wondered about my world, and what better way to help him understand than to involve him in a tradition like this? The groceries that I was sent to buy were in a bag that draped from my arm, while I luged the pumpkins home.

"Bilbo?" I called. No response.
"Bilbo, could you get the door," I shouted.
Finally, the little hobbit answered me with a swift swing of the door and an apology. He took one of the pumpkins (which was half his size) and put it on the table as I made my way over to do the same.

"What are these for?" Bilbo inquired, curiously.

"They are for carving!" I exclaimed. Bilbo looked at me with utter confusion.

"Carving? I do not understand..." the poor dear was so lost.

"You know how you said you wanted to know about my traditions and holidays? Well, this is one of them! Pumpkin carving. You basically get rid of the insides, and the carve an image in the pumpkin. Then, you light a candle in it so you can display it on Halloween night." I tried to explain the best I could.
He seemed to pick up the idea, I think?

"How do we begin?" He smiled kindly. I could tell he wasn't thrilled, but was doing it because I looked so happy (which I appreciated).

After 2 hours or so of dedication and hard work, we had two amazing looking pumpkins. Bilbo proudly picked his up and placed it outside. I put mine next to his so that all the neighbors could view them.

"We should do this again next year." Bilbo declared.

"We certainly should." I smiled.