Spirits

My beautiful child.

Ursa looked at the beautiful baby boy she held in her arms, watching as he moved and breathed. He was so full of life even if the Sages said he was small.

She held him close and sang him sweet lullabies, crying that she finally had something to love in this lifeless palace.

I will always love you my treasure.

Zuko giggled as she lightly brushed his small nose, and Ursa felt pure bliss. She had been miserable since Azulon ripped her from her home and forced her to marry Ozai. She constantly wanted to go back to Ikem, to her old life in Hirai village.

She fiddled with the necklace she still held, the rings from her and Ikem's love were still adorning her neck. He gave her his ring when she was forced to leave as a way to remember him.

She missed him dearly, Ozai was cruel and their marriage was loveless. She prayed some nights that she would be able to leave one day, go home and never look back at this nightmare.

But holding her baby boy she thought maybe it was worth it. Just to hold him in her arms and sing him sweet lullabies.

She was pulled out of her bliss by the sound of heavy footsteps. "Ursa, how is our child? I've heard he is a boy."

She held back her feelings of disgust and forced herself to hand Zuko to her husband.

Ozai held the baby and looked into its eyes.

Ursa felt dread as she saw him scowl in disgust, taking the baby near the open balcony.

"What are you doing?"

"He has no spark Ursa, you gave me a weak heir. Having a non-bender as an heir will be an embarrassment for the royal family. It will be better to get rid of this one and try again."

Ursa watched as he held the baby over the open window of the palace.

"No! Please, don't kill him. He'll grow into a bender, it's too early to tell yet. Please, I'll do anything."

She was on her knees, begging her husband to spare her only child.

One of the sages spoke next to her, "She is right your highness, he may just be a late bloomer. Agni's light blesses all at different times."

Ozai scoffed, wondering if it was worth it to wait years and possibly raise a worthless heir.

"You said that he will receive Agni's blessing is that correct sage?"

He looked at the worthless boy in his arms and knew the child wouldn't amount to anything.

The sage was sweating nervously, "Yes, that is correct."

He looked his pitiful wife in the eyes as she begged him to taint his bloodline with a weakling.

"Well, if he survives then Agni really will have blessed him."

He tossed the useless boy out the window, ignoring his wife's shrieks as he walked away to attend to more important matters.

He looked at the sage who paled, "If the boy survives, tell my wife that she can keep him."

He left his wife as she shrieked incessantly.

So bothersome.

......

Ursa felt her entire world collapsing in on herself as she watched Ozai carelessly toss her child out the window.

She heard the sages behind her ordering the guards to bring them the body but her mind was numb.