28.

so so sorry for the late updates, which seem to be a recurring theme in these chapters but i promise i will try to update on time. luv ya!

life continued on normally for the two women. well, other than the weekly shots, which the doctor told them they should start doing them daily to ensure the fertility of novas eggs.

taylor continued writing songs, and thanksgiving had passed by then. nova was also continuing songwriting, but that wasn't her number one priority.

taylor had gone out to the store, and wasn't planning on being back for multiple hours. nova decided to call her mother and ask her if she wanted to visit.

the brunette barely ever saw her family now. her mother, carmen, was excited to see her daughter for what felt like the first time in years.

nova got up to answer the door as she heard knocking, opening it and seeing her mom.

"mom! how are you?" nova started, hugging the older woman.

"i'm doing well, what about you? how is taylor?" carmen seemed to love taylor just as much as nova did, and both women were glad.

nova pulled back from the hug, opening her mouth to respond. "she's doing good, mom. i have something pretty exciting to tell you, do you want a drink?"

"of course, do you have white wine?" carmen asked, walking into the apartment.

nova cringed slightly, but was able to cover it as a yawn.

"we actually don't keep alcohol here." nova responded. "sorry, mom."

"oh that's fine! may i have a water?"

nova rolled her eyes jokingly. "ever the gentlewoman."

"at least we're both aware of where you got your manners from." carmen said sassily. "definitely not your father."

nova got them both a glass of ice water, and was about to tell her mother about them trying to get pregnant when the door opened once again.

"oh, she's earlier than i expected her to be." nova muttered, mostly to herself.

it was oddly quiet, and nova was starting to get nervous. she walked towards the door and looked around the corner.

she let out the breath, seeing taylor holding a bouquet of flowers and a card.

"ugh! i was going to try surprising you. hi, baby." taylor kissed nova on the cheek softly.

taylor continued walking to the kitchen, seeing her soon-to-be mother in law.

"oh, hey carmen." taylor greeted, hugging the older woman.

carmen pulled back from the hug, and taylor looked at nova questioningly.

did you already tell her? taylor's eyes seemed to be asking, and nova shrugged.

"okay, mom. can you please sit down so that we could tell you something?" nova asked, trying to stay calm.

it obviously wasn't working as well as nova had hoped. "what's wrong? you look like you're going to faint."

"nothing. just sit down, so we can get this over with."

nova and taylor sat next to each other, facing carmen.

"we're trying to get pregnant." nova said, her voice more steady that she thought it would've been.

carmen quirked her eyebrow. "um," she whispered. "you are aware that you can't get pregnant by..."

the older woman made a gesture with her hands, making taylor laugh.

"yes, we know that, mom." nova said, trying her best not to laugh. "we're going through the process of a sperm donor. i'm also taking shots daily to bring up my egg count since i didn't have many."

carmen nodded. "that's amazing! i'm so proud of you, honey. i'm glad that you're finally happy."

the older woman stood up, hugging her daughter tightly.

"i was worried i wouldn't get any grand-babies."

"hey, you still have another child. and to be fair, this might not work." nova said.

taylor looked over at her fiancé. "aren't we supposed to be staying positive?"

"well, i'm not going to lie to all of us and say it's a 100% chance that i'm going to get pregnant."

nova started tearing up, and taylor didn't really understand why. then, nova stood up, whispering a weak, "sorry," before going into her room.

taylor looked up at carmen. "do you want to go see what's wrong with her?" taylor asked, and the older woman shook her head.

"this seems like something only you could help with, taylor."

the blonde nodded, standing up and walking towards the bedroom door.

she knocked on the door three times, letting nova know it was her.

nova said for taylor to come in, so she did.

taylor walked into the room, seeing nova curled up into a ball crying.

"oh, baby." taylor whispered, walking towards the bed.

"i'm sorry." nova said, sitting up. "my hormones are crazy because of the shot, and i'm scared, tay. gosh, i'm so scared. what if this doesn't work and i let everyone down?"

taylor shook her head. "uh-uh. we aren't going to do that, baby. we aren't going to spiral and start blaming you for things that one, haven't even happened, and two, wouldn't be your fault whatsoever."

taylor rubbed novas back gently, waiting to see if she had anything to say.

"look, if this doesn't work, that's fine. it's going to be okay. i know that if it doesn't work, you might blame yourself, but you're doing virtually everything you possibly can to make this work."

nova looked up at the blonde. "i love you so much, tay. you're so beautiful."

taylor rolled her eyes playfully. "thanks. we should probably get back to your mother before she starts worrying."

the brunette nodded, holding taylor's hand and standing up.

"weird question, but if this doesn't work, are we going to just keep trying? or take a break and try again, or just stop doing it all together..."

nova looked up at her fiancé, waiting for a response.

"i think that is completely up to you and what you're ready to do."

nova nodded. they continued to walk out of the room back into the kitchen, being greeted with novas mother leaning on the counter.

"are you alright, sweet heart?" the older woman asked her daughter, who responded with a nod.

"yep, i'm perfectly fine."

an hour or so later, carmen had left and it was just taylor and nova.

the two woman were sitting on their couch, nova leaning her head onto the blondes shoulder.

"hey, baby?" nova whispered, afraid that her fiancé was asleep.

"yes, baby?" taylor whispered back jokingly.

"i think i should take a pregnancy test," nova sat up to look at the blonde while she spoke. "i mean- i have a feeling that i'm already pregnant, which probably isn't right but i think i might be. maybe?"

taylor put her hands on novas hips affectionately. "if you think so, then i think you should take a test. but let's do it in the morning, i'm tired right now."