Fourteen

Meredith's POV

"Dr Bailey? Claire Rice's abdominal CTs." Dr. Bailey looks at the results before looking at me.

"Is this girl fat?" Dr. Bailey asks me.

"Not at all. She's a normal college kid."

"So, what do you see?" Dr. Bailey asked me.

"Her stomach's stapled. She's had a gastric bypass and a bad one at that." Dr. Bailey nods and the two of us headed to Claire's room. Mr. and Mrs. Rice both looked at us while Claire was reading a book.

"We need to talk to you both out in the hallway." Dr. Bailey says to both parents who nod and we all headed back outside.

"Gastric bypass is a procedure normally done on obese patients to help them lose weight."

"Claire? She doesn't need to lose weight." Mr. Rice tells us and I mentally agreed with him.

"It is so typical of this girl to take the easy way out. She's done it with everything since she was a little kid." Mrs. Rice says, causing Dr. Bailey and I to give each other looks before facing the parents.

"Mrs. Rice, nothing about this is going to be easy. She's going to face a lifelong struggle with malnutrition unless she has surgery to reverse the procedure." Dr. Bailey tells the parents.

"Do the surgery. I told her to watch the freshman fifteen. Don't eat junk, exercise. But when she came home Christmas, who had to take her out and buy her a brand new pair of size 6 jeans because she couldn't get in the ones I got her last summer?" Mrs. Rice tells us and her husband.

"Tina, you know, she tries so hard. She does. She gets good grades. She gets A's." Mr. Rice defended his daughter to his wife.

"She had illegal surgery in Mexico." Mrs. Rice replied to her husband.

"Unfortunately, there were complications with the bypass."

"What do you mean?" Mr. Rice asks us.

"She has what looks like an abscess under her diaphragm, and edema, which is a swelling of the bowel wall. I can't say for certain she'll recover completely." Dr. Bailey explains to the parents.

"Just do whatever you have to do to make her well, ok?" Mr. Rice pleaded with us.

"We'll do everything we can Mr. Rice." The parents headed back into the room and I walked away from everyone, heading to the locker room.

"That poor baby." I hear Genevieve say, causing me to turn in the direction of her voice and see her sitting on a wheelchair, talking with George. George was sitting on the other wheelchair next to Genevieve.

"What's wrong?" Genevieve and George both turned to face me before I sat on another wheelchair nearby.

"My two year old patient, Jamie Hayes has Rasmussen's encephalitis on one side of her brain. So we have to remove that part of the brain. I was just explaining it to Genevieve because she was with Jamie during her MRI." George explained to me and Genevieve nods in response.

"Did Genevieve introduce you to her aunt and uncle?"

"She did. Mark and Amelia are cool. We just had lunch with them before they headed back to your house." George says before Genevieve hands me a lunch box and I opened it to see a chicken sandwich.

"I picked this up for you Mama." Genevieve said with a smile before I hugged her and she hugged me back.

***************
Genevieve's POV

"Do you have any threes?" George and I are playing Go Fish in the locker room because I'm waiting for Mama to finish work. George gives me his threes and I placed my four threes on the bench.

"Do you have any kings?" George asks me when Izzie entered the locker room and walked over to us. She pushed me onto the ground and my head bumped into one of the lockers.

"What is your problem?" George yelled at Izzie before helping me up off the floor. Izzie had a bandage around her nose, that's clearly swollen and red.

"The retard's bitch of an aunt punched me in the nose!" Izzie yells.

"Come on Genevieve, let's grab our things and play our game somewhere else." George says before we grab our things and exited the locker room.

"Jamie's surgery was a success. How's your head?" George asked me before we sat on a bench by the front entrance of the hospital.

"It hurts a little bit but otherwise I am fine." George and I resumed our game when Nurse Olivia Jankovic walked over to us.

"Hi George. Hi Genevieve. What are you guys doing?" Olivia greeted us with a smile on her face.

"Playing Go Fish. Want to play with us?" Olivia looks at George with the same look that my mommies give each other. Olivia likes George in a romantic way! They'll be good for each other.

"Genevieve, it's time to get going." Mama says walking over to us.

"You two can keep playing. Tell me who wins." Getting up, I grabbed my things and walked over to Mama. Mama wraps an arm around my shoulder and the two of us walked out of the hospital.

"Did Auntie Amelia hit Izzie?"

"Yes she did. Why?" Mama asked me while we kept walking to Mommy's car.

"She pushed me into a locker and called Auntie Amelia a female doggy!" The two of us arrived at Mommy's car and got into our seats.

"I'll deal with her sweetheart." Mama promises me.

*******************

Addison's POV

"I will kill her!" Amelia angrily whispers, referring to Izzie Stevens. Genevieve was fast asleep in my arms. Meredith sat on the couch beside me on my left side while Amelia sat on my right side. Mark was icing his bruised knuckles because he beat Derek up earlier today, but we're not going to tell Genevieve about that. We weren't going to tell her about Amelia punching Izzie, but she had to be a bitch and tell Genevieve.

"I would kick her ass, but I don't beat up women. Even shitty women like Isobel Stevens." Mark tells us.

"I think Genevieve's setting George up with Olivia. It's adorable how her mind works." Meredith tells us before smiling down at Genevieve's sleeping form.

"Did you tell George and Izzie about what's going to happen after their intern year's up?"

"Izzie's pissed that she has to find a new place to stay. George is happy that we are still letting him stay with us." Meredith explained to me before placing a kiss on top of Genevieve's head.

"Let her be pissed. That bitch deserves to be thrown out on her ass and the fact that you're not right now shows what a good person you really are." Meredith kisses me and I kissed her back.

"Love you Addie." Meredith tells me with a smile.

"Love you too MerBear."