Chapter 32: Bring Me Back To Life

Chloe held on to Trixie tightly. "You took the children?"

"I came to earth to start my own family. I knew my sons weren't candidates anymore but I did try," Lilith explained solemnly.

"So you stole other people's children? Do you know how much worry and anxiety these people are going through thinking that their babies are dead?" Chloe asked exasperated.

"Asmo and I came to earth together after he freed me. We acquired this house. We were going to be a family he brought me, children because he knew it would make me happy. He revealed his true plan then for us to rule the earth and all humans -- it wasn't my plan. I cut ties with him. The children are happy with me." She looked at Trixie. "Trixie, you enjoyed playing on the carousel with the other children, didn't you? And you enjoyed eating the chocolate cake I baked? Yes?"

"It was a lot of fun. Mommy, don't be mad," Trixie piped up.

Chloe swallowed hard. "Maze, Amenadiel would you please take Trixie and the children to the park at the river? I'll call Dan to meet you there."

They looked warily at her and Lucifer, she could tell they didn't want to leave but Maze gave a curt nod and they rounded up the children who waved at Lilith and blew her kisses. She smiled tearfully and blew kisses back.

Once they had all left they focused on Lilith.

"So you wanted to create a new family? Really? Last time you took children you killed them all," Lucifer accused.

Chloe asked pointedly, "Did you kill that little boy down by the river?"

"I was angry at Lucifer, the rage overwhelmed me. Asmo was trying to make amends he brought him. That child remained me of how Lucifer would have looked if he had been a child instead of being created as already grown. I lost my control," Lilith confirmed.

Chloe inhaled sharply. "You shoved a piano key down the child's throat suffocating him!"

Lilith stood tall and indignant. "I wasn't thinking clearly. I only lost control for a moment then immediately regretted it."

Horror curled in Chloe's stomach.

Lucifer scoffed. "That sounds familiar."

"Aren't you at least the tiniest bit grateful that you have your wings back?" Lilith softly asked her son.

"How can you ask me that after you took the choice away from me? How do you think I felt being forcibly held down -- again," he snarled his voice cracking on the last word.

"And because of that you won against Asmo!" she snapped frustrated but then softened her tone and pleaded. "I was trying to make up for all that I had done. Without them Chloe, Maze, and Meni would have all been dead -- your ego would have caused their deaths. You don't have to forgive me but at least acknowledge that I am trying to compensate as best as I can for what I did to you."

Chloe realized that Lilith was sick. A part of her acted normal but the other part had no normal compass between right and wrong. She had given Lucifer wings but by the sounds of it forced them on him, she had taken good care of the stolen children but she had raped her son to get revenge, she killed the little boy because she was mad at Lucifer. There was no telling what she would do -- she was unpredictable. She glanced over at Lucifer, her heart aching at the sight of him. He was exhausted before all of this but now he was starkly pale -- she was amazed that he was even still upright. His wings had disappeared somehow into his back. The scars were gone. Trails of rapidly drying blood ran down his bare chest. His eyes were wild and wounded. It hurt just looking at him.

Amenadiel suddenly appeared setting Maze down beside him and informing Chloe. "Don't worry, Trixie and the other children are safe."

"Thank you," she acknowledged gratefully.