Chapter 16: Storm

"Chloe, dear what a lovely surprise. I've been away for ...awhile but now I'm back to re-bond with my boys." She looked at Lucifer. "Hi Sami, I've missed you, I'm just baking and Meni some honey oat cookies -- you used to love them."

"Sami?" Chloe looked at Lucifer who had gone white as a sheet.

"Just a nickname." His mum answered.

Chloe was dumbfounded. "You're Lucifer's mom?"

Lilian's dark eyes twinkled. "I'm the one who taught him to play the piano along with other instruments. He's always been very musically inclined. I'm Amenadiel's mum as well."

Chloe glanced at Lucifer who didn't even appear to be breathing. Concerned she stepped over to him. "Are you okay?"

He swallowed thickly never taking his eyes off his mother.

The air was thick with tension. Lilian looked at her son. "I'm sorry, I should have called and not just dropped in like this. You aren't pleased I can tell but then who wants their old mum just popping by unannounced especially when they are entertaining a woman as lovely as Chloe? My bad." Her eyes narrowed with concern. "Are you all right? You look a bit pale. Shall I pour you a brandy? I'm nipping at one myself.

"You shouldn't be here," he growled.

Chloe stepped back not sure what was going on. Lilian was delightful but Lucifer looked anything but overjoyed to see her. She realized he had never talked about his mother. She didn't realize angels even had mothers. Lucifer suddenly stepped in front of her as Lilian stepped close to Lucifer -- not touching him but looking into his eyes. Chloe watched the interaction -- curious.

"I've had time took think." She looked at him very lovingly. "You are my youngest. I have always cared about you protected you, and taught you. What I did when I was...ill...was deplorable. I know you have doubts but you must believe me -- nothing happened. I only wanted him to think it had - to punish him. He has free reign over everything just once I wanted him to feel a fraction of what I felt -- helpless." She reached up to touch his face but stopped cold when Lucifer's eyes shone red. Chloe was behind him but caught a glimpse of the side of his face and gasped. He turned so quickly and grabbed her hand that she didn't have time to react. He pulled her into the elevator frantically pushing the close button. He was breathing rapidly as if in a panic. The last thing Chloe saw as the door closed was Lilian's heartbroken expression.

Chloe turned to Lucifer and put her hand on his chest. "What just happened? How could you treat your mother like that?"

He trembled, closing his eyes for a moment. His heart was racing, he felt dizzy. He turned away from Chloe and braced himself against the elevator wall trying to calm himself down and get his breathing under control. Maze had been right he had procrastinated too long. His reluctance almost led to a disaster. The realization hit as he remembered Chloe's words to Lilian. They had met before. Chloe could be dead right now -- in heaven a place he was forever banished from. He laughed at his naivety. Of course, mum would watch and observe and hunt down his weaknesses the same way she had used him to punish his father. How was he going to tell Chloe in a way she would believe him? One of her hands was on his back and the other was stroking his arm.

"Talk to me Lucifer. What's going on?"

Feeling more in control, he stopped the elevator between floors. In an unstable voice, he asked, "Where and when did you meet her?"

"On the weekend at the movies with Trixie. Lucifer, why have you never mentioned your mother before? Are you estranged? What was she talking about? What did she do to you?"

She knew the second she finished the last sentence that she had asked too many questions.

He broke eye contact and seemed to shut down. He took a shaky breath and pressed the button again to get the elevator going. He stopped it at Lux. He put an arm around her and guided her out. Not knowing what was going on she let him. Maze was behind the bar with Amenadiel. She took one look at Lucifer's strained expression and ran over to him with Amenadiel following.