Chapter 9: Repressed memories

Unlike her boss, the demon was surprisingly a quiet, well-behaved, backseat driver.

They arrived at the mall that contained a drugstore. As they walked through the throngs of people Maze purred and paused in front of a shoe store. She seemed mesmerized by a pair of dark maroon boots with bone-crushing heels. "I need those."

Chloe shrugged. "Well go ahead then and try them on."

Maze looked at her with speculation. "You could use some kick-ass boots - whatever you are wearing looks like something an arthritic grandmother would be ashamed to leave the house in."

"Thanks." Chloe sneered. "In heels that high I'd likely trip and impale myself."

Maze looked amused. "Something a little safer then. What about those?" She jerked her head in the direction of some black mid-calf boots with more moderate heels.

Chloe fell in love instantly; they would look great with skinny jeans. She gasped when she saw the price tag.

"I think they're on sale." Maze commented.

Chloe looked around. "I don't see  any sale signs."

Maze licked her lips and went to talk to the salesperson; she came back looking like a cat that had just licked clean a bowl of cream. "75% off - you have to buy them."

"What!? Seriously?" She knew she shouldn't but at that price, they were practically free. "Okay." She convinced herself.

The salesperson looked rather dazed as she rang them in. Chloe had a strange feeling that Maze had done something to her. She looked suspiciously at Maze who smiled and said, "You're welcome."

As they headed into the drugstore Chloe wondered if Maze could brainwash people. She grew a little worried.

"Lucifer likes the must one except tropical musk." Maze suddenly offered.

"What?"

"You've been staring at the perfumes for the last few minutes."

"Oh, I was just thinking about something and I don't care what scent Lucifer likes, we are just partners," Chloe explained.

"Uh-huh." Maze responded distracted by the flavored condoms. "Have you ever tried the 'Hotter than the Devil' flavor?" She asked.

Chloe instantly felt herself go red. "Uh...uh no."

Maze looked at her curiously. "Does sex make you uncomfortable? You know Lucifer is very fond of it."

She rolled her eyes. "I am well aware - seems to be on his mind 24/7."

Maze laughed. "When you're in hell as long as we were and then come to earth with so many willing partners - well one has to indulge."

"Of course," Chloe smirked.

"How is Dan in bed?" Maze paused looking at her with interest.

"Fine. I mean good. I mean we're separated and haven't...uh...you know in over a year but he was good. Wait, why do you want to know?"

Maze shrugged, opening her eyes wide looking innocent. "Just curious."

Chloe had a sudden urge to ask how Lucifer was in bed but she had a feeling she already knew the answer and besides this was just getting a little too uncomfortable.

"We better get this prescription filled before there's a lineup," Chloe suggested.

Maze nodded, followed, and pulled out her credit card. "That was easy. Thanks for showing me." Maze smiled. Smiled.