The Friend and the Frog

Nix Weekly always thought she looked like a frog. She used to hold the little amphibians by the pond when she was little, staring at her pale reflection in the ripples and comparing it to the calm, slimy bundle in her hands. She'd scrunch up her nose until all she could see were her nostrils, turning the frog around until it too could see the resemblance. Sometimes she'd snort, scaring the frog (but only slightly), and soon letting the creature go. Other times, she'd run to her mother and grandfather, holding up the frog to them and exclaiming the mirror image Nix found herself to be. It would be at this point that both of the adults would exchange sad glances, grimacing and pursing their lips before kneeling down and explaining to Nix that, no, she did not look like a frog.

Daisy Weekly, her mother, would say, "You're beautiful, Nix. Don't doubt that for a second."

Nix wasn't doubting it.

Her grandfather, John Weekly, would add, "You're the prettiest girl this valley has ever seen."

Nix, however, doubted that. She had seen some rather pretty frogs in Stardew Valley, after all.

It wouldn't occur to her until much later that her mother and grandfather didn't see frogs the same way she did. Nix always thought they were beautiful, much like every other animal she came across, regardless of what they looked like. Humans didn't seem to hold that same belief, to her dismay. There were even some animals that humanity despised, such as snakes and bats. Nix would never understand that, regardless of how many times it was explained to her of how much of a pest some animals could be, and she proceeded to try to sneak them into the house anyway.

Those were the days Nix missed, back when she was a young child, living with her mother and visiting her grandfather in Stardew Valley during the summer and fall months. Now, her mother was [̸̖͊̓͒ě̵̡̧͚̲̥̥͚͔̩̖̥̎̈́̌͒͊͘ȑ̵̨̛̫̯̠̯̹̮̬̟̍̓̈͂́̔̍̔͝͝ȑ̸̢͈̥̺͓͔̱͍̓̉͋̒͊̔̃̉̅̕ṑ̶̘̙̺̤͔̱͉͚̇̅̿̒̽͊̈́͑̓̎̏̎͝ͅř̸̜̝̖͓̘͚̝̙̲̪͐̓̈́̀̽̃̉̒̚ͅ]̴̰̪̦͊̓̂̿̅͜ , and her grandfather was dead.

And Capricorn Grove was a decrepit mess.

It was raining when she arrived in the valley, but she didn't mind the rain. She adored how the water drenched her ghost-white skin, covering it like a cool blanket. She tilted her chin up, letting the droplets hit her face and soak into her long, mossy green hair. Rain also meant the frogs would come out, and part of her longed to sit by the pond and make silly faces into the rippling water, just like old times.

Those old times would have to wait, however, for her new neighbor Robin certainly hated the rain. The woman, whose hair was as red as an autumn leaf, cursed her god's name into the clouded skies, griping about an unfinished project and the wrenches in her spring plans. It was not until she saw Nix that she piped down and tried on a smile.

"It's wonderful to finally meet you! We always knew your grandfather had a little family, but..." She stopped herself short.

...But he wouldn't let anyone meet you.

That's likely what she wanted to say, Nix knew. It wasn't entirely wrong. In fact, it wasn't wrong at all. Many times, Nix would ask if she could visit town and meet some of the little kids she knew resided there. Her requests were always denied, the rejection filled with excuses like how all the children were at school, or how shy they all were. Nix knew the real reason, but she seldom argued anyway. Even at a young age, she had always been aware of how... concerning her appearance could be.