Sold for Gold

Though Sam requested two mornings to mull over Abigail's transgressions, Nix only required one. She woke up late, which was a given, but as her weary hands looked after her crops and fed her livestock, Navi on her heels, she pondered what Abigail's angle was. Why would she set Sam up with Penny after being Sam's confidant? And what was Nix supposed to say to him, whether it be before the dinner or during? As she packed her wares into a wooden wagon she crafted the fall before, she decided it would be best for her to ask Abigail herself.

However, when Nix made it to Pierre's just before five in the afternoon, having spent most of her day repairing the fences that ran across her pastures, Abigail wasn't there. The storefront was rather vacant, actually, with Nix and Marnie being the only customers. She thanked Pierre after selling her things, asking where Abigail could've gone.

"I saw her take her flute and leave earlier this afternoon," he confided rather quickly. "I'm not sure where she plays that thing though."

Luckily for Nix, she knew quite well. Abigail always played her flute near the large lake in the mountains, just east of Sebastian's house. So, hauling a wagon rattling with her tools, that's exactly where Nix headed. The wheels crunched against rocks as she made her way up, spinning and sputtering as if begging her not to go. However, she wouldn't listen. Not when her questions were devoid of answers, and certainly not when her brother was in pain. Eventually, the melody of a flute flew through the air, jabbing Nix's ears in a not-so-pleasant way. She found the off-key tune odd. Abigail was normally quite good at playing the flute. Though, as she caught sight of the purple-haired woman, whose locks were a mess and her clothes wrinkled as she sat with her back against a pine tree, Nix realized Abigail might have been just as upset as Sam was.

"Abby?"

Abigail jumped, an intense, high-pitched tune emerging from the flute like a train whistle. Then, she forced a smile. "H-hey."

Nix sat beside her, pursing her lips. Then, she took a deep breath. "What happened yesterday?"

Abigail sighed, setting down the flute and hiding her head in her hands. "Did you really not realize?" When Nix shook her head, Abigail continued. "I wasn't trying to set Sam and Penny up on a date. I was trying to get you to realize you like him."

"What are you talking about?" Nix asked, taken aback.

"You and Sam!" Abigail nearly shouted. "I just... wanted you and him to get together."

"Abby, he's like a brother to me," Nix reminded her. "Why would I date him?"

"Because it would keep you away from Sebastian." Abigail's eyes filled with tears. "And I know what I did was wrong, but..."

"But you were jealous?" Nix asked softly.

Abigail nodded. "No matter what I do, Sebastian never notices me. But as soon as you arrived, it's like you were the only thing he saw." She tossed a stone into the lake. "I can't stand it some days."

"Don't you think you deserve someone who does notice you then?" Nix leaned towards her, her eyebrows softly furrowed as she considered her friend's feelings. Nix didn't know what it was like to experience unrequited love. As a child, and even a teen, she didn't dare develop crushes on the other kids in her classes. How could she? Every time they looked at her, every time they sneered and laughed... she just wanted to vanish into the blissful night and fade into the sparkling stars like her father had. It wasn't until she met Sam's warm gaze that fateful spring that her worldview changed, and when Sebastian's soft breaths willed her to believe in that fickle thing called love.

"What?" Abigail sniffled.

Nix grabbed her hand, holding it in hers. "You deserve a man who puts you first, don't you think?"