Chapter 16 - Homecoming

Arianna's POV:
I woke up in Nik's arms. I've been waking up in his arms for years, yet I don't think I'll ever get used to it. We've been on the road for two days ever since prank night and now we're in Portland. We've been making hybrids along the way and Nik's army has slowly been building.

"Morning, love." Nik kissed the top of my head.

I rolled over to face him and whispered, "Morning." I leant forwards slightly and placed a kiss on his lips and then laid my head on his chest. We laid in bed for a few more minutes, before Nik interrupted the quiet.

"We need to get ready, my love."

"Why?" I complained. "You know it doesn't take me long to get ready."

Nik laughed. "We need to get ready to leave, sweetheart."

"Ugh, fine." I groaned and rolled out of bed. I quickly got ready so we could leave.

"You look gorgeous, little witch." Nik wrapped his arms around my waist from behind me when I came out of the bathroom.

"Nik, stop." I laughed when he started kissing my neck. "I love this, but you were the one rushing me not 15 minutes ago, so let's go." He growled and let go of me. We left the room after collecting our things and signed out of the hotel.

We were walking through the woods after making even more hybrids when Stefan called. Nik answered after smirking at me, "Portland is fantastic, once you get over the whiney music. It's literally a breeding ground for werewolves."

"Your fathers dead." I overheard Stefan tell Nik, making him freeze in shock.

"What did you say to me?" I had also frozen in shock, but when I heard Nik's voice I went over to him and grabbed his hand. I could hear the fear in his voice at the sound of his father.

"Oh, my mistake. Not your actual father, and not dead." Stefan corrected himself. "Mikael. Daggered. What do you want me to do with the body?"

"Well, first, I want you to explain to me exactly what happened." Nik didn't believe them one bit. Neither did I, this was clearly a trap.

Flashback-One Hour Earlier
"Let's say Mikael followed Elena. Tried to grab her so he could use her as bait." Stefan tried to come up with a plan.

"And you, what, vervained him?" Elena was skeptical.

"No, we vervained him." Damon corrected. "Guy's an Original. We have to make it realistic."

"Okay, fine." Stefan gave in to his brother. "We vervained him, and in the process discovered that he had a dagger."

"Which he planned to use on Rebekah." Elena caught onto Stefan's plan. "But instead——"

"We drove it through his heart." Stefan finished, with a smirk.

"And what happens when he asks to see Mikael's body?" Elena asked.

"Good point." Damon voiced his thoughts. "You have been compelled to do what Klaus says. So, if the idea is to lure him back here and kill him... the last thing we need is you getting tongue-tied."

"Well don't look at me." Stefan said when Elena turned to him. "I'm just in charge of getting him here."

"Klaus is smart." Elena pointed out. "If we tell him Mikael's dead, he'll want proof."

"Then I shall be dead." Mikael walked into the room carrying a dagger and white oak ash.

"What if he wants to see you in person?" Elena slowly approached him.

"It means our plan is working." Mikael answered her. "Klaus will absolutely want to see my body. You lure him here, and I will kill him."

"What about Arianna, his wife?" Damon asked. "What will you do to her?"