Chapter 11 - The Birthday Part 2

Arianna's POV:
20 minutes later...

I was sat at a table eating a burger and fries, watching Stefan fail at questioning Ray. He was throwing darts dipped in wolfsbane at him but it didn't do anything. Nik was sat next to me, smirking at the torture session as well.

"Ray." Stefan called. "You can end this right now. Just tell me where your pack gathers for the full moon." He offered and pulled a dart out of Ray's neck.

"I can't." Ray breathed heavily.

"I know, I know." Stefan sounded bored. "You live by a code and all that. But see, they're not gonna let me stop unless you tell me." Stefan pointed to us. "And I do whatever they say. That's the way it goes around here."

"Hello, Mr. Klaus." I glared at the woman who came over to our table. She looked a little too much interested in Nik. "Mrs. Arianna. I have some more information for you. You told me to tell you if I saw anything. I saw that guy's brother, Damon, at the farm house."

"Thank you, Claudine." I said through gritted teeth. Nik patted my leg. 

"Calm down, my love." He leant over and whispered in my ear. "Claudine, you just tell your friends to keep up the good work with the neighbourhood watch, huh?" When Claudine left, Stefan appeared where she had just been standing.

"My brother's still on our trail?" He asked, even though he knew the answer already.

"He's getting closer." Nik confirmed. "Anna or myself are gonna have to deal with it." He added.

"No, no, no. Let me handle it." Stefan hurried out and grabbed Nik's arm to stop him from walking out.

"Why should we let you leave?" I asked.

"Because you both know I'll come back." Was his answer.

"Do we?" Nik wasn't sure.

"You saved my brother's life." Stefan explained. "I'm in your service."

"Oh." Nik looked at me over Stefan's shoulder. "It all sounds so tedious and indentured. Aren't you even having the least bit of fun? Huh?"

Stefan rolled his eyes, "I'll make sure that my brother doesn't bother us anymore." He then walked out.

I saw sadness and longing in Nik's eyes so I cast a silencing spell so no one would hear our conversation, "Are you okay, Nik?"

"His loyalty to his family reminds me of my family before we were turned. We were once so close and now I've had to dagger them all because of Mikael." His eyes welled up with tears but none fell.

"They'll understand, once you explain why you did it. I promise. If not I will persuade them, don't worry." I pulled him into a hug.

"Thank you, moya lyubov. Obicham te."  He whispered in my ear. (my love) (I love you)

"I love you, mi rey." I whispered back to him. (my king)

We heard Ray's groans of pain grow louder, so we moved away from each other. Nik went back over to Ray who had been moved by the compelled people onto the pool table, "Okay, it's a three-step process, Ray. This is step one. I want you to drink from my wrist."

"I already told you where to find the pack." Ray argued weakly. "What more do you want from me?"

"Have you been listening to a word I've been saying, Ray?" Nik pointed a knife in Ray's face. "I have great plans for you." He then took the knife and sliced his wrist with it. Once he did that, he forced his wrist into Ray's mouth. "He'll thank me for it later." Nik told the compelled people in the bar as if they would actually acknowledge him. "There we go, attaboy." Nik took his wrist out of Ray's mouth just as Stefan walked back in the bar.

"What are you gonna do now?" Ray lifted his head to look at Nik.

"It's time for step two, Ray." I walked over to him and snapped his neck. Finally, his groaning will stop. He was starting to give me a headache.

"You're back." Nik looked at Stefan.

"Did you doubt me?" Stefan asked.

"Not for a second." I sent Nik a disbelieving look. He definitely doubted him. Maybe only for a minute, but he most definitely doubted him. "I knew you'd past the test. You still care for your brother, for your old life."

"No. I don't care about anything anymore." Stefan disagreed.

"You put on a good show Stefan." Nik said. "We almost believe you."

"You almost believe him. I've never believed that." I corrected Nik.

"Sorry, I almost believe you." Nik corrected himself as well. "Let's hope for your brother's sake, he does." Nik went right next to Stefan's ear and whispered, "You never stop caring about family, do you? But every time you feed the blood makes it easier to let go." Nik spoke from experience. Stefan just shook his head slightly and ignored Nik. He left us in the bar, allowing me to go over to Nik.

"I'm here for you." I reminded him. "Talk to me."

"I'm fine, Anna. I promise you." He smiled at me, kissed my forehead and pulled me into his side. I rested my head on his shoulder, enjoying the peace while it lasted because it sure as hell won't last for much longer.