Chapter 15

You were right about one thing. It was torment. It seemed like the press simply couldn't get enough of Helena and her new quote-on-quote toy boy, Rye Dag Holmboe, 33. It tortured you that the whole country thought she loved him and had no idea you even existed. For you were just "Billy's friend" or "Billy's girl". Nobody knew your name. How could a university student compare with a Norwegian writer?

It wasn't long before every single news article was about them. You snuggled up on the couch with a creamy mug of hot chocolate - stuffed with marshmallows and chocolate sprinkles and opened the copy of the daily paper. Headlined was the typical bullshit about whatever scandal the government had got up to then the outrage of the public and so on. However, as you turned over the page, it ruined your mood completely.
"HELENA BONHAM CARTER, 56 AND HER TOYBOY RYE DAG HOLMBOE, 33 HEAVILY LAY ON THE PDA"

"Brilliant" you sighed, sarcastically as you threw the paper on the floor. It was enough to set your mood for the rest of the day - the rest of the week even. It had been around a month since you'd seen Helena - since you'd been in her arms. She was right about how things would be different once you'd gotten back. There were no late night conversations, no dinners out, no sleepovers. Only the odd 'goodnight' text on a night or the 'Billy's staying over'. There were no messages of closeness or intimacy. Nothing of the sort.

You focused on your degree. After all, this is what you came to London to do in the first place. You and Billy were closer than ever. Life was as good as it could be given the circumstances. You found yourself gazing out of the window, longing to be in her arms again. Before you knew it, you were snapped out of your daydream.

Your phone was ringing. You headed over to the armchair where you had read the paper the previous morning. The phone flashed, vibrating on the desk as you took it into your hands and read the ID. It was B. 'B' was a simple nickname you had for Billy, Helena's now 20 year old son and your quote-on-quote "boyfriend". You answered, holding the phone to your ear.

"Hi darling" a familiar voice answered. A voice you knew all too well. "Helena" you whispered, as butterflies cascaded into the depths of your stomach. "Indeed it is my love" she replied, as sweet and as feminine as you remembered. You were shocked if anything or confused as to why she had decided to contact you on her son's phone. Of course - it wouldn't look suspicious for Billy to be contacting you. You were his "girlfriend" or what not. It looked perfectly normal.

"I understand you'll be feeling a little confused as to why I haven't been in touch" she whispered, softly. You were pacing up and down your living room at this moment in time so confusion most likely didn't cut it. "You could say that yes" you laughed, nervously. You hadn't spoken to her for some time yet she still managed to have this effect on you. The ability to make you weak at the knees without even realising.

"It had to be done my sweet" she sighed. Her breaths were soft and gentle. She sounded sad but relieved at the same time. "I had to convince the bloody nuisances that my 'relationship' was all happy and loved up if you will" she joked, as you heard the familiar little cackle on the end of the sentence. You loved the evil side of Helena. The side where she was so unapologetically herself.

"I mean, I did get tired of seeing Miss Bonham-Carter with her new toy boy" you teased, laughing as you sipped on the freshly made tea you had just poured yourself. "Oh stop it" she giggled. "So" she pondered for a moment. "What are your plans for this evening?" she asked, as you felt a sudden surge of excitement fall over you. "Nothing" you replied, smiling to yourself. "Nothing?" she repeated back to you. "So you'll be at mine for roughly 5ish tonight?" she added, with a hint of cheek within her tone. "Will I?" you whispered, playing along with whatever game she was playing. "You know you will" she said, confidentially.