Chapter 11

You looked at her every single day questioning how she was yours. How this woman with nothing but grace and elegance had come to love and adore someone like yourself? It was coming up to December and you were round at Helena's for the week. This had become a daily occurrence. You'd practically moved in at this rate not that Billy minded for you were his best friend. Nell viewed you as a sister and was always inviting you to tea parties and asked you to read her 'Alice In Wonderland' by C. S Lewis for her daily bedtime story on an evening.

Christmas was soon approaching and whilst everyone was getting excited, Helena was getting more stressed. "Hey love" you smiled, bringing a fresh mug of chamomile tea into her study. Her desk was out of the ordinary. A desk made out of a wood colour you'd rarely seen with a grey chair. Opposing the desk, was a mustard coloured sofa decorated with plump matching cushions that stood below shelves which held photos of Helena and Tim and both Billy and Nell.

Her eyes were brimming with tears. "What's wrong sweet" you said, as she buried her head into your chest as you felt your shirt become damp with tears. "He's demanding that the kids stay with him and bloody Eva for Christmas" she cried as you simply held her. "Say no?" you replied as she shook her head. "I could never do that. Tim has and will always be their father whether I like it or not. I could never be the one to stop them seeing him" she said, softly as she took her head off your chest and stared up at you with her big brown eyes. She was always so sweet like that. Constantly caring about others regardless of if it made her feel okay. "They are staying with you for Christmas. You are their mum. You are the one who's attended every football match and every parents evening. Can he say the same?" you said, sternly as she paced around the room. "If his children were that important to him and he loved them as much as he stated, he'd of thought about that before fucking around with Eva Green" you said, angrily. You didn't mean it and instantly knew it wasn't fair. "Get out" Helena said quietly. "Helena I-" you stuttered. "Leave me go on fucking get out" she said, closing the door angrily. One thing about Helena was how defensive she got when it came to her family. Dysfunctional at that but she would protect them to the ground - Even Tim.

She was already fragile enough as it was without you commenting on her children's importance to their father. You sat in your bedroom holding your pillow feeling sick. It wasn't really an argument but this was the first proper 'fight' you'd gone through as a couple. You decided, when it was time for bed and you knew Helena would be in her room, to go speak to her about it. You knocked. "Helsa" you whispered. "Go away" the voice wailed. You pushed the door open to see her rocking back and forth with her knees up to her chest. Her eyes were raw and red. Her skin was blotchy for it was obvious she'd been crying. "I'm so sorry" you cried, feeling nothing but guilt and upset for the whole situation. "Don't be silly" she replied, as you clambered into her arms like a little monkey, embracing her sweet scent. "How am I meant to do this?" she choked. "Do what?" you said. "This" she sobbed. "You'll do it Hellie. I'll be there every step of the way" you smiled weakly kissing her forehead.

Helena really wasn't herself after that. She was a broken shell of the woman she was before the divorce. She isolated herself from you. From Billy and Nell. She was careless with work. Slept through her alarms and barely ate. She was struggling. And you knew it.
You showered her and gently washed her thinned brown locks. There was nothing sexual about this type of touch. It was just meaningful intimacy. So pure and heartfelt.

You eventually made an appointment to book Helena in at the doctors. "I'll come with you" you said, holding her numb face in your hands. "Oh love you know you can't" she smiled weakly. You felt her body shaking. She was full to the brim with nerves. "Oh how I wish things were different" you stammered, as your eyes brimmed with tears.

Helena soon went and left the doctors office being prescribed with medication to help her low mood. "I'm so proud of you" you smiled as your body became overrun with emotion. "You really are one of the best things that ever happened to me darling.. my third and final wonder of the world" she grinned. "You truly are amazing" you smiled, as your lips brushed past hers every so slightly. The change in her was incredible. Oh how you enjoyed the next weeks.