Chapter 20

A/N: The image above does not belong to me. It belongs to the person who uploaded it on the internet.

Third Person POV

Title watched as Kaownah walked over to a closet in one corner of the east room.

Kaownah opened the closet door and took out a rolled up mat.

He laid it on the floor and rolled it open. Then he walked over to the bench where Title was sitting.

"Do your legs feel strong enough to walk over to where the mat is?" he asked Title.

"I think so," Title replied, standing up slowly from the bench to test the strength of his legs.

Although his legs felt a bit wobbly, Title managed to walk over to where the mat had been laid on the floor.

Under the watchful eye of Kaownah, Title stepped on to the mat and slowly bent his knees to go first into a sitting position and then into a supine position.

"You're doing absolutely brilliant," Kaownah praised Title.

In the next half hour, Kaownah made Title do all the muscle strengthening exercises.

"Your progress is fantastic," Kaownah said with a big smile. "I believe that in just two or three more sessions, you will go back to your normal level of functioning."

"I hope so," Title said, although the thought of never seeing Kaownah again made him feel sad.

Kaownah held out his hand to Title who was still in a sitting position on the floor mat.

Title accepted Kaownah's hand and Kaownah helped him to a standing position.

"I think I can manage to walk over to my wheelchair without assistance," Title declared.

Kaownah watched Title closely as Title walked over to his wheelchair and then successfully settled into it without any untoward incident.

Kaownah was about to start wheeling Title out of the east room when his phone started to ring.

Title noted that the ringtone was not a generic one. That meant that whoever was calling was someone in Kaownah's personal contacts.

Title waited as Kaownah pulled out his phone from his pocket.

"To what do I owe the pleasure of this call?" Kaownah asked, a wide and happy smile appearing on his face.

A brief pause, and then Title heard Kaownah saying, "Right now? Where do you want to meet?"

Another brief pause.

"Sure," I heard Kaownah saying, "I'll see you in a bit then."

Kaownah was silent as he pushed my wheelchair out of the physical therapy building and into the parking lot.

"I can stand up by myself," I said to Kaownah, my tongue itching to ask him who he was planning to see after he dropped me off at home.

When we got to the driveway of my house, Kaownah walked over to the passenger side of his car where I was and stood by as I carefully climbed out of his car.

"Hold on while I take your wheelchair out of the trunk of my car," he said to me.

I nodded, starting to feel miserable. I wondered if whoever he was going to see was his special someone.

He walked over to where I was and unfolded the wheelchair and set it close beside me.

"Thank you for bringing me home," I said. "I will wheel myself inside the house. Go hurry to your sweetheart. They're waiting for you."

Kaownah gave me a confused look.

"What the hell are you talking about?" he asked.

"I'm sorry," I said, "I didn't mean to eavesdrop on your phone conversation earlier but I heard you saying that you were going to see them in a little bit. So please go hurry. I'd hate to keep the other person waiting because you're still here with me."

Shit, my voice had started to quiver and my eyes were starting to moisten.

I quickly moved towards my wheelchair and tripped on my other foot.

Kaownah was quick to catch me before I could entirely lose my balance.

He did not let go of me even as I struggled to move away so that I could sit on my wheelchair.

"That wasn't someone special that I was talking to earlier, you ninny," he said, sounding a bit frustrated. "That was Kao. He sounded like he needed to tell me something urgent. Something seems to have happened between him and Cooheart."

"Then please go and talk to him," I said, still struggling to get out of his arms that were still holding me close to him. I felt like I couldn't get away from him fast enough.

"Not until I clarify some stuff with you," he said, "And right now seems to be the best time to do it."

"What do you want to clarify?" I asked, feeling more miserable by the minute.

"This," he said, pulling my face close to him and kissing me.

I pushed him away.

"What was that all about?" I asked.

"Are you repulsed by me?" he asked.

"Why did you kiss me?" I countered.

"You don't kiss someone unless you like them." he replied.

"Are you saying that you like me?" my eyes widened at him.

"I could start from there, and then move on to something deeper with time," he said, looking seriously at me, his voice starting to quiver.

"Are you sure?" I asked, not ready to believe what he was saying.

"You've been too blind all this time," he replied, pulling me close to him again.

This time, I did not resist when he hugged me tighter and I returned the kiss that I could only dream about until now.

The kiss would have gone on and on if Kaownah's phone had not started ringing once more.

"That would be Kao," he said, breaking off the kiss.

"I will hurry back to you as soon as I can," he said as I got into my wheelchair. 

He wheeled me to my front door and waited with me until Becky our housekeeper went to open it after I had pressed the buzzer.

"Go," I said, feeling confident that he would hurry back to me as promised.

He did not leave right away.

He looked at Becky who was still standing at the doorway. He looked undecided just very briefly before bending to kiss me on the top of my head and then quickly walking away.

"Love is in the air," I heard Becky say.

"Shut up, Becky," I said, grinning widely.