Chapter 17- Identity

(July 6, 1998)

"Alright," Adams says as he narrows his eyes, looking at the sight before him. He stands there for a few moments, sizing it up, trying to figure out how best to proceed, judging the distance and the variables.

After a moment, he says, "Alright. I'll go with the 5 iron." He turns back to his bag and pulls his 5 iron from it. He steps up to the ball while his two companions, Colonel Hall and Admiral Archie Clemens, the commander of the Pacific Fleet, are watching as Adams steps up for his first stroke.

It's been a little while since the TLM bomber was captured the name of their leader was obtained. Since then, all efforts had been focused on figuring out the true identity of the leader. In the meantime, Adams, along with Hall, had taken some time off and taken Admiral Clemens up on his offer for a round of golf at Torrey Pines in San Diego.

The three are now on Hole 10 on the South Course. Admiral Clemens has the lead by one stroke, but Adams is feeling pretty confident.

Adams takes a practice swing before setting his club behind the ball. Adams takes a deep breath before swinging back, and then forward. With a "clink" sound, the ball is sent flying right towards the green. Adams watches with baited breath. To his relief, the ball soars straight and true, landing on the green and coming to a stop just a yard or two from the hole.

"Yes! Haha!" Adams cheers a bit, hefting his club in triumph.

"Nice shot, Captain," Clemens says with a slight smile. He then gets in his golf cart, and Adams and Hall get in theirs, heading for the green.

As Hall drives up to the green, Adams grins and says, "Ah. Even in the midst of a manhunt, glad we can have a little fun."

"True. But remember. We agreed whoever of the two of us has the better score is buying beers for the squad tonight, and if we beat the admiral in the process, the winner wins 50 bucks," Hall says with a grin, and the two men chuckle.

As they hop out of the cart, the two draw their putters and head onto the green. As they find their balls, they see Admiral Clemens has already found his.

Hall, currently with the furthest ball from the hole, steps up to his ball and readies himself. After a second, Hall makes his putt. The ball rolls across the green, stopping two feet from the hole.

Hall lays down his ball marker and takes the ball up before stepping back. Now, Admiral Clemens steps up to his ball. After a deep breath, he takes his putt. To his disappointment, the ball rolls to a stop just an inch from the ball.

"Oh!" Adams and Hall say simultaneously. Clemens shakes his head before stepping up to the ball and finishes knocking it in, earning a par.

Adams now steps up to his ball. If he gets this putt, he'll be tied with Clemens. Adams breathes deep, then takes his putt. To his relief, the ball rolls into the hole.

"Yes!" Adams cheers. He then looks at Clemens and says, "We're tied up, Admiral!"

"Well done, Captain. Let's see how we do on Hole 11," Clemens says with a smile.

Right then, Adams' commlink starts to buzz. Adams pulls out the commlink and activates it. A second later, a hologram of Lieutenant General Peter Schoomaker, commander of TSOC, comes up.

"General. Any chance this can wait for a bit? Me and Colonel Hall are golfing with Admiral Clemens?" Adams asks.

"Not quite, Captain. We finally got a hit on the name that TLM bomber gave us, and we've identified their leader and his true identity," Schoomaker says.