Chapter 10- Fall of Kabul

In the back of the LAAT his team is riding in, Fives clutches the straps hanging over his head tightly. Fives and Clone Force Five were part of the force assigned to capture the Presidential Palace in Kabul. They would be leading a force of the SAS in the assault. Also taking part would be the KSK and the Delta Force.

An antiaircraft blast goes off right beside the gunship as it streaks towards the palace. "Steady, boys," Fives says to the other clones.

Soon enough, the gunship descends towards the palace. "Ready!" Fives says. Seconds later, the gunship touches down and the doors open. Immediately, Clone Force Five rushes out of the gunship. Close by, other gunships open up, allowing several dozen SAS commandos to rush out of them. More gunships across the grounds disgorge several dozen KSK commandos, and Fives knows that the Deltas are being set down on the far side of the palace.

"Let's move boys!" Fives shouts, and leads his team towards the palace.

Reaching the palace's main doors, Fives signals for a breacher. The breacher moves forward and sets a breaching charge against the door. Seconds later, the charge goes off and opens up the main doors.

The clones and the SAS move quickly into the palace, weapons at the ready. However, with the speed of the Allied attack, the Palace guards are not prepared for the attack.

Within seconds of entering the palace, the team sees several servants, all carrying various items. Echo points his blaster at them and shouts, "On your knees! On your knees, now!" The frightened servants instantly comply.

"Cuff 'em," Fives orders. Several SAS move forward and restrain the servants with wrist cuffs. One of them, who speaks fluent Pashto, informs the servants that if they do not cause any trouble, they will be released without harm or charges at the end of the battle. They then move the servants out of the way to prevent them from getting caught up in the fighting.

Fives' team moves further into the palace. At the same time, Fives can hear gunshots going off from the other two strike teams, and now knows that the Guards, caught off guard or not, are fighting back.

"Let's move men!" Fives orders.

(Airport)

Private Forsyth ducks as an artillery shell explodes about 15 feet in front of his position. He hunkers down for a few seconds before popping his head back up to get another look. A second later, an American artillery piece returns fire at the howitzer that just fired at them, hitting it on the first shot.

The Battle of Kabul has now been raging for several hours. The 82nd Airborne is now all on the ground and have joined the Russians in pushing into the city. That is, in two places. The other two landing zones in the city have been fully secured and the troops are expanding their lines into the city. However, the force occupying the airport have remained on the airport's grounds. The Taliban and their forces are trying hard to reclaim the airport, possibly to have an avenue of evacuation if the city falls to the Alliance.

However, things are slowly turning in favor of the Alliance. Several Alliance transports have landed artillery and a few armored personnel carriers to support the troops on the ground, and the first wave of additional troops from the 76th Air Assault will be arriving at the airport in less than an hour.

Forsyth pops back up again. Spotting a Taliban fighter through the smoke, Forsyth fires his M16, hitting the fighter in the neck. The man drops like a rock.

"Advancing!" Forsyth shouts before he stands up and hurries forward to the next cover spot. Ducking behind it for a second, he then peaks out and sees a number of Taliban fighters approaching. He raises his rifle and fires, but the men dive aside. Then, right after a Humvee rounds the corner, ready to start laying down machine gun fire, a man pops up with an RPG and fires. The projectile hits the Humvee and blows it to pieces.