39 | turning of the tides

Before Ezra could respond to his brother, I interjected by saying, "Where's my brother? Where's Apollo?"

It was like a supernatural force washed over me, and I pushed all my anxieties onto Elias. I wouldn't be here in the first place if it wasn't for him. Despite the intensity of my thoughts, I knew it wasn't fully true, but knowing that it wasn't doused in one hundred percent of the truth did not prevent me from believing it.

Even if Elias had not kidnapped my brother himself there was a possibility that he might know some sliver of information about my brother. Elias seemed to be well-tuned to his surroundings. He figured out my identity before Ezra did. Not to mention, he was well-connected and had a coven of witches on his side.

If he didn't know something, he had the power to change that tune and seek out the needed information. My jaw clenched at the thought — could he help me find Apollo? Shaking my head, I dug my heels into the hard forest floor.

Breaths coming in fast, I elongated my claws and took a step toward Elias. In the light of day and with Ezra nearby, I could see the resemblance between the two brothers.

They were built very similarly — both tall and both had the same sandy hair color. Elias's features were softer, but the way his lips twitched upward when he was amused was the same expression I had grown used to seeing on Ezra. It was almost unsettling to see the resemblance among them like it would somehow be an easier pill to swallow if Elias visibly looked like some sort of black sheep.

"What are you talking about?" Elias asked, looking down at me. While Ezra and Elias were both tall, Elias was a good two inches taller than his younger brother. Glancing up at him strained my neck, and I was not shy to add that to my list of reasons to not like Elias; the list was ever-growing.

"Apollo," I said slowly as if saying it at the right tempo would jolt some comprehension into Elias' brain. "My brother. One of the people whose lives you threatened. Ring any bells?"

"Not particularly," he smiled, flashing his sharp teeth.

Ezra placed a comforting hand on my back and sighed. "He's lying."

Elias clapped his hands. "Years apart, and it is like not a day has passed. I'm flattered you remember my tells so easily."

"You make it obvious," Ezra's jaw was pulled tight. "Even the blind could tell you were lying."

"Ouch," Elias' face scrunched together. "That's quite the insult to your mate."

Scowling, I repeated my earlier question, "Where's my brother?"

Elias remained silent, his fingers drumming against his thighs as he looked both at me and Ezra over. After a few moments, his smirk grew.

"How should I know?" he shrugged his shoulders. "I wasn't invited to the party."