31 | startling revelations

With Apollo awake and on the mend, my mind could not be satiated

With Apollo awake and on the mend, my mind could not be satiated. The desire to kill Ezra was too strong, too all-encompassing. Even as I sat by Apollo's bedside, watching over him as if he did not have the Alpha Gene running through his veins, I could only think of one thing: killing Ezra.

It was like a switch in my mind flipped. My fingertips longed to seek out the leather handle of the blade, longed to wrap around the hilt, and never let go. My arms ached to thrust the trusty blade dead center into Ezra's heart. While a small, rational part of my brain told me this desire was nothing more than an implanted calling, I knew it had grown bigger than just a spell cast upon my mind.

Lives were on the line — not just Ezra's — and I could not afford to be pedantic about the finer details of what I had been called to do.

Ezra had sealed his fate when he made our mate bond public.

He — to my knowledge — had told only one person, Victoria. But, the damage had been done. If word spread of our mate bond, I would have little room or reason to not uproot my life to Solaris, not when he had the full support of Alpha Byron behind him.

Yet, I was still faced with a dilemma even if the decision to follow through with Elias' request had been accepted. My dilemma now was figuring out how I would succeed in killing Ezra. I was, in fact, in his territory. Of course, being his mate would aid in any precautions I might have had to take if I happened to be someone who was not destined to be eternally mated with him.

Whether conscious or not, his wolf would have his guard down around me, and I had to take advantage of that. That, however, did not have the power to summon my blade to Solaris. The blade had been stashed away back in my pack territory; I did not have the time or mental capacity — at the time — to think about securing the blade when I entered Solaris' boundary with a passed-out Apollo.

As a result, I would have to thwart any plans of killing Ezra for today. I hoped this delay would not result in someone else in my life getting hurt, but my options were limited.

Undoubtedly, I would raise concerns if I jetted off to my apartment with Apollo still chained to the hospital bed, and there was no way to get the blade here without raising suspicions.

But, then I realized something: I did not actually need the blade.

While the blade had been promised to end Ezra's life just by piercing through his skin, Ezra could be killed in other ways. It would make the whole affair a great deal harder, but it was not impossible. I would just have to find the opportune time and weapon.

Fortunately for me, it appeared like I would have plenty of time to concoct the perfect plan while on Solaris land.

"What's wrong?" I asked Ezra.

Ezra popped his head into Apollo's room. After Apollo woke up yesterday, Ezra lingered for quite some time before excusing himself to attend to pack business. A whole day had passed since I had seen him last. He looked as if, during that time, he had not gotten a wink of sleep.