26 | caught in a lie

"Why do you look like that?" Apollo scrutinized while taking a large bite of his fully loaded burger

"Why do you look like that?" Apollo scrutinized while taking a large bite of his fully loaded burger. As he chowed down on his overstuffed burger, many of the over-piled condiments spilled out from the bun. He licked his lips clean as he took another mouthy bite all while never losing eye contact with me.

Preventing myself from spitting out my food all over Apollo, I swallowed harshly before overtaking a tone more squeaky than I would have liked, "Like what?"

"That," Apollo emphasized, food still in his mouth. He pointed his burger in my direction. He exhaled brutally from his nose.

After my confrontation with Ezra, I booked it back to the pack house. Of course, before returning, I stopped at my trusty hiding spot, which was marked by a rather peculiar-looking rock. I hid the cloak safely away and then sprinted the rest of the way back to civilization. With each stride, the dagger chafed against the side of my thigh since it still rested in the thin protection of my jeans.

Once I entered the threshold of the pack house, I had every intention of pulling Apollo off to the side to have a chat about my recent discoveries. However, Link had other ideas. As soon as I stepped foot into the foyer, Link lugged me over to the pack dining hall, where tonight's dinner being served was burgers — both cooked and uncooked.

The pack dining hall was much too grand for a pack of our modest size. Because of this, half of the room was left vacant; the tables that once occupied the space had long since been sold to help the pack recover from our great loss eleven years ago. The other half of the room, meanwhile, was filled with two remaining long tables with matching bench-style seating. Towards the side of the wall was a long, clothed table set up buffet style, where members of the pack could pick and choose what they would like to eat.

As I tried to free myself from Link's attention, my own attention dialed in on my brother. He too was in the pack dining hall. I wanted to confront him here and now — that was my original plan. But, I knew I would have to wait.

From the looks of it, he had just sat himself down to eat his dinner, and I did not want to willing face Apollo on an empty stomach. I also did not want any curious ears to be tipped off to my growing suspicions of our pack. While the pack dining hall was not filled to the brim with pack members, there were far too many people seated at the tables for me to comfortably confront Apollo.

My focus was still on Apollo, I had fixed my own burger with a few toppings — lettuce, cheese, and onions — and took a seat at the same table as Apollo. He had been giving me a weird look ever since, having waited a few minutes before speaking up.

Link, who was seated next to me, remarked, "To be fair, she always looks like that."

Apollo scoffed while he stuffed his face. He then smugly declared, "No, she doesn't."

Softening my approach, my voice came out as almost a whisper, "Apollo."

Apollo's chocolate eyes narrowed. Then, he took a whiff of the air. His nose scrunched up, locking in that position as he took another whiff of the air around him. His face started to heat up, turning a bright red.