[3] Tears Don't Fall

THREE:

© All Rights Reserved - 2011 S. M. Palmer

[Jaden's POV:]

AS SOON AS MACI'S FACE connected with the hardwood floor, she blacked out. I turned to Mrs. Ryan. "Can you please call 911?" I asked calmly, turning to her.

"Yeah."

When the ambulance arrived, the paramedics loaded Maci up in the back of the ambulance and they allowed me to sit in the back with her.

Once she had a room in the hospital, doctors came in and did stuff with her and then left us alone. That's when my phone started ringing. Since I'm in a hospital, I didn't want to mess up any of the machines, so I ignored the call. I took my phone outside and called back the number. A police officer picked up on the other line. "Yes?"

"I am returning your call, sir."

"Oh, yes. Are you Jaden Parker?"

"Mm-hmm."

"Do you know Zelda Ryan?" the officer asked on the other line.

"Yes, sir."

"Okay. Well, we have her at the police station."

'Thank God.' "Thank you."

"Who will come pick her up?" the officer asked.

"I'll call my girlfriend's older brother and have him come pick her up," I answered.

"Okay. Thank you, sir," the police officer answered.

The call ended and I dialed Derrick's number. He picked up right away. "What?"

"Listen, Derrick, the police officers have Zelda. Can you please go there and get her. Please."

"Sure. Uh, who is this?" Derrick asked.

"Jaden Parker, your sister's friend," I answered.

"Oh."

The call ended. I put my phone in my pocket and went back up to Maci's room. When I entered the room, she was awake. "Hi, Maci."

"Hi, Jaden. Have you talked with my mom about Zelda?" she asked.

"Yeah. She said don't worry too much about it. She'll find her."

"I hope see does," she answered.

[Maci's POV:]

The doctors kept me for a few more hours and then they released me. We drove home in silence and when we pulled in the driveway, I silently got out. As we walked to the front door, I said, "Jaden, what if we never find her. What if she's out there alone and cold. With no one to care for her."

"Just wait," he whispered.

He opened the front door and we stepped inside. That's when Zelda came running into the foyer. "Momma! Momma! Momma!" she screamed.

[Jaden's POV:]

Maci dropped whatever she was holding and collapsed on her knees and wrapped her arms around her daughter. "Baby, you're okay," she cried with tears of joy.

"I's okay, Momma. I not hurt," Zelda replied to her.

"Baby, Mommy's so glad you're not hurt."

She stood up, still holding her daughter and turned to me. "How'd you get her back?" she asked me.

"I'll tell ya later," I whispered.

"Were you the one who found her?"

"Sorta," I answered.