THIRTY-TWO

Two days after the wedding, the Mary has set sail once more. The Spanish officers have resumed their mission to cleanse the ocean of pirates under the king's command. However, given the results of their previous pursuits, they've changed their tactics. Nowadays, they take prisoners before burning down their ships, and drop them off at the nearest port to be thrown in the barracks.

So far, this new tactic works, and that is enough to satisfy the Capitán of the Silent Mary. In the past four weeks, they've sank three ships and taken over sixty pirates prisoner.

Armando stands at the helm of the Mary with Lesaro behind the wheel. He is at peace, content even, as he knows they are leaving the ocean pure. But what makes him even happier, is seeing his wife in bed with him every morning when he wakes up. Even though he bought the estate he so much dreamed about, Samira insisted to sail with him.

How can he refuse her?

And there is absolutely no reason why she couldn't sail with them. Storms? She can either tame or cause them. Pirates attacking? She knows her way with a sword. Risk her getting hurt? The sea will heal her. And even if he wanted to say no – which he didn't – his crew wouldn't step foot on the Mary if they heard she wouldn't be there.

He may be the Capitán , but everyone knows Samira is secretly the one with the authority.

And honestly? Having Samira sail with them is the best decision he's made since marrying her. They've had nothing but clear skies and calm seas for days with her always being in a good mood.

But something is different today.

Armando frowns at the strange weather they're having. It's been lightly raining during the morning, only for it to vanish within an hour. The next thing he knows, the waves are growing in size, rocking the ship in every which direction and throwing many officers off balance. If they weren't used to sailing, most men would've been seasick by now. But the strangest sighting by far is the dolphins that were following them on their voyage. They seemed rather...purposeful to him if that makes any sense.

Only then does he realize that Samira hasn't left the cabin yet that day. Telling Lesaro to keep an eye on the horizon, he leaves the helm to check on his wife.

Past the stage of knocking, he enters the great cabin and freezes.

"Mi amor?" he frowns when he finds her bent over a bucket, face pale and eyes dull. Armando is at her side in an instant, holding back her hair while she heaves up this morning's breakfast. "I don't understand. You don't get seasick, my love."

Samira shakes her head as she slowly sets the bucket down. "I'm not."

"Food poisoning?" That is his next guess. Immediately, Armando thinks back to what they had for breakfast, a simple plate of bread, some pork belly, and eggs. Could it be the meat?

"No," she says again, using a damp cloth to wipe her mouth. There is a look of almost surprise on her face when she meets his eyes. "I haven't bled yet this month."

"Is that...normal?" What has that got to do with her being sick? He still has much to learn about women after being cursed.

"Only if I'm with child."

He nods thoughtfully as if knowing what that means...and stops. "Wait, with child?" He knows she used to be a nurse, meaning she'd know what the signs would be. But...can it be? Taking her hands in his, Armando has to make sure. "Are you certain?"

"I can go ask the dolphins," she manages to joke, referring to the ocean mammals that's been following them, "Apparently, they can sense things like that."