ELEVEN

The plan is brilliant, foolproof even to the eyes of any passing pirates, but oh, how I wish I had thought of how I'm supposed to get to the outskirts of the Triangle.

I never really did comprehend how deep into the uncharted waters the Navy ship had sailed for the Spanish crew to attack them. And now, I am facing a perilous journey across the slippery rocks to the cave's exit. And let's not forget the thick layer of fog that blocks out everything more than ten feet ahead.

In my hands is one of the smaller dresses that doesn't fit me and one of the working lanterns. Its flame is small and dim to save some oil for when I put the plan into motion.

"Here," turning my head, I find Lesaro holding a spyglass towards me, "You will need this to search the horizons, señorita."

"Thank you, Lesaro," my voice is calm and sincere while my heart wants to break out of my ribcage.

"And Santos volunteered to escort you as far as he can go. He knows the way to the exit."

At his cue, Santos emerges from the crowd of ghost officers gathered around me, all present to see me off. They were rather excited to hear about the plan to lure a ship into the Triangle. For them, it's another opportunity to stain their blades with pirate blood. For me, it is only a matter of survival.

Facing the crew, I offer them a final word before taking my leave, "I do not take any pleasure in luring anyone to their death, but survival calls for drastic measures. Just please remember, whatever you do, do not let the ship burn or sink before I'm done salvaging."

After my speech, a part of the Mary's rigging is dropped over the port side of the deck. Santos offers to carry the lantern and the dress for me while I'm making my way down to the rocks. Casting one last look at the crew, I spot the Capitán at the helm. I briefly notice my ribbon tied around the hilt of his rapier before our eyes met across the decks. I smile at him, genuinely glad that he kept my parting gift, before, finally, descending the rigging.

At the bottom, Santos holds me steady until I find my balance on the slippery rocks, "I know the water can heal you, but please be careful where you step, Samira."

It's refreshing to hear someone say my name for a change. I'd smile if it wasn't for the nagging thought that I'm depending on people's deaths so I can survive, "Thank you, Santos. Please, lead the way."

And so our slow trek over the rocks begins.

I try keeping close to Santos while focusing on where I'm placing my feet. Some rocks are covered with slimy substances, while others are covered in algae-like plants. And dammit this dress! The hem keeps catching on some pointy ends and I'm constantly yanked backward to tug it loose again.

Note to self, look for something more suitable to wear while raiding the ship.

We reach a point where the fog gets thicker but also a shade lighter, reflecting the daylight coming from outside the Triangle. And that is where Santos stops.

"This is as far as I can go," he says sincerely while holding the dress towards me, "Should I wait for you to return?"

"I think I can take it from here, thank you, Santos," hopefully, the smile I give him is convincing enough, "Can you deliver a message to the Capitán when you go back? Tell him I'll see him shortly to collect my ribbon. He'll know what it means."

Santos nods once before backing up for the fog to swallow him. I am completely alone.

Holding on to the thought of the Capitán with my ribbon and to the excitement to collect it from him later - don't ask me why I suddenly enjoy his company - I set forth and climb the last slippery rock until my body breaks through the fog.