TWENTY-SIX

"Here you go, miss."

This time, I'm fully prepared when the two dimwitted pirates dump a bucket of salt water on me. However, not before contemplating whether or not it will actually work, considering my injuries are internal – a broken back. In those five minutes, I've finally learned their names. Murtogg and Mullroy.

But like all the times the ocean healed my wounds, it did the trick and I found myself sitting up a few minutes later.

That was one of the worst injuries I've had so far, and that says a lot. It's not the pain of hitting the deck that left me traumatized, but rather the feeling of not being able to feel anything below my neck. I was completely paralyzed and vulnerable, unable to run to Armando and forced to watch him leave.

And he took Henry with him.

For leverage perhaps? I don't know, but I hope he won't hurt him. He knows that I care for Henry.

All I know is, the Trident is the only thing that can save us all now, the Spanish officers, Armando, Henry, even the pirates. And we have to find it quick.

The sun is slowly rising, its golden rays leaking over the rocky hills and revealing the true nature of the island we sailed on. My jaw drops when the light reflects on millions and millions of crystals and gemstones littered all over the land, glittering like the stars in the night sky. It's a perfect reflection of the heavens.

The pirates around me have gone silent in awe of what they see. Even Murtogg and Mullroy don't ruin the moment with some dim question or comment.

But the moment ends when Carina, Jack, and Barbosa make their way to the deck. The former two begins climbing down the Pearl to start the search for the Trident, however, the latter stops at me.

"Ready to receive your heritage, Miss Samira?"

I know what he really wants to ask: Am I ready to give him what's rightfully mine?

But the situation now is more dire than my concern over a power-hungry captain. Fed up with his constant pressure, I decide to make a deal of my own. "How about an accord?"

Oh, how they love that word.

Barbosa's eyes – blue like Carina's underneath all that redness – narrow at me. "I'm listening."

"I will give you everything you asked for on two conditions. One; we break all the curses of the ocean first, and two, you promise to take Henry and Carina to Port Royal, alive and in one piece." As I doubt either of them would want to sail with a crew of former cursed Spanish officers. I can formerly introduce Armando to my best friend another time.

Barbosa goes silent as he considers my conditions, almost making me roll my eyes. Honestly, it's two, very simple terms with no grey areas. A yes or no would suffice.

At last, he says, "We have an accord, missy."

"Then what are we waiting for?" Without waiting for him, I begin the climb down the Pearl to catch up with Jack and Carina.

The four of us make our way across the rocky surface of the island. There are no trees or any other plant in sight, only hills encrusted with shiny rocks and gems. Sapphires, diamonds, emerald, every gem under the sun is right here. I'm glad no one has found this place yet. Imagine the damage they'd do if they see all this.

Carina walks ahead with her journal in hand, heading for a rocky pedestal with a ruby at its top. Unlike the other stones, it's dim and lifeless, and I hardly would've seen it if Carina didn't know to look for it.

We stop at the pedestal and study the stone.

"Why is it not glowing?" Carina wonders out loud, searching her journal for answers.