THIRTY-ONE

Warning: Mild spice coming up. Marked with *** where it begins and ends.

One month later...

"Do you, Armando, take Samira as your lawful wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do you part?"

The first thing the servant girl said when she opened the windows in my room this morning, was, "Lovely weather we're having today, miss. It seems your wedding day is blessed."

And indeed, it is – I've blessed it myself.

My happiness and excitement reflect in the weather as there is not a cloud in sight and blue skies stretch on as far as the eye can see. The sea is bright and glittering as gentle waves crash against the rocks in splashes of foam. And when the children left their houses to play this morning, they found the beach littered with seashells of every shape, size, and color under the sun.

"The sea gods must be in a good mood today," the servant girl also said.

"Oh, they are," I replied with a coy smile.

She helped me into my dress – sea foam white with pearls sewn into the bodice and dainty, lace sleeves that flare out at my elbows. I told her to leave my hair down, but to braid a part of it as I know Armando prefers it loose. Although, she was very confused when I refused to wear the heels that came with the dress. Honestly, boots are so much more comfortable, and no one will see them underneath the dress anyway.

Once she's done with me, I hardly recognized myself in the mirror. I looked...beautiful.

Never in all my life would I have thought I'd someday wear a wedding dress, even less get married to a formerly cursed Spanish Capitán on his ship in Spain.

But here we are, standing on the quarter deck of the newly restored Silent Mary exchanging our vows while the crew, Henry, Carina, Elizabeth, and Will were gathered on the main deck, watching the ceremony.

It feels like dolphins are flipping in my stomach when Armando says, "Sí, I do."

Seven seas preserve, Santa Maria, he looks dashing in that uniform with those medals reflecting in the sun. And his hair in that low ponytail... holy marlins, I cannot, I can't, I am unbale to can. If this man has the slightest idea how handsome he is, he'd turn himself into a weapon. If I were a pirate, I'd surrender myself to him on the spot.

"Do you, Samira, take Armando as your lawful husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do you part?" The padre's aging voice brings me back to the present.

"I do." As I said that, a slight breeze rustles the skirts of my dress and passes through the crowd, making them aware of just how happy I am.

I hardly hear the rest until the padre finally says the words, "You may now kiss –"

But he doesn't get to finish before I throw myself into Armando's arms and kiss him madly in front of our friends and family. And he doesn't hesitate to lift me off the deck and spinning us around.

The Spanish officers cheer the loudest, especially Magda surprisingly, and some even whistle above the noise. We both laugh as we break the kiss – no doubt scarring the padre for life at how much affection we displayed before him – and head down to interact with the others.

I head straight for Henry and fully welcome the hug he gives. "Damn, how the miss the days you were shorter than me."

Beside him, Carina suppresses a laugh.