NINETEEN

I'm tempted to hide in the great cabin as the pirates are being escorted onto the deck of the Mary, each one uglier than the first. Their skin is littered with scabs, their teeth yellow, their eyes bloodshot, and their nails darkened with filth and blood. How on earth does anyone choose to live like that?

Hidden from view by the wheel, I observe them from afar. The remaining pirates – those who weren't killed – huddle at the center of the main deck, scared beyond wits of the ghostly crew of officers circling them. One wrong move, they might just kill one of the filthy men.

The pirate captain, however, gets escorted up to the wheel. He pauses, eyes wide and swirling with confusion at the sight of me.

"You have a woman on board?" he asks calmly, daring a look at Armando. I'm not sure if that was meant as an insult, or if he was just genuinely perplexed to why a living, breathing woman would be found amongst a crew of dead officers.

"She is none of your concern," Armando places himself between me and the pirate and nods at the wheel, "Take me to Jack Sparrow. You have until the break of light."

Without warning, he takes a firm yet gentle hold of my wrist and leads me to the great cabin. Once inside, he closes the door and utter a heavy breath. I guess it must be one of frustration, given ghosts don't need to breathe. Only then do I notice his hands are shaking with unbridled rage.

Trusting that he won't take it out on me, I reach out and take his hands in mine. They are cold as always, despite having been in the sun for the whole day.

"I don't think you should leave that pirate at the wheel unsupervised too long," I tell him honestly. "Frankly, I don't trust him."

Armando huffs a dry laugh. "I'd be worried if you did, Samira. I almost thought you took pity on them when you sent that breeze."

"I had to find a way to bring you back," I confess solemnly. "You been driven by rage since we left the Triangle, I was worried I'd lose you to it."

I can tell my words meant something to him. Armando brings my hands to his lips and places a ghostly kiss on each knuckle. Once each knuckle has received equal attention, he places the last kiss on my forehead.

"I'm right here, mi corazón," he says against my skin, "I apologize if my behavior frightened you. I wish to have this curse broken as soon as possible. That ambition, it tends to cloud my better judgement."

Recalling his reaction earlier upon hearing of the Trident, I can't help but to ask, "Do you really not believe in the Trident?"

"Whether it exists or not, I can't save Jack Sparrow from what's coming to him."

"But what about you?" I rest my hands on his chest, hoping to someday feel his heart beating under my palms. "Do you believe the Trident can break your curse?"

He looks at me with equal contemplation. "Do you?"

I realize this is a sensitive subject. I myself isn't certain of the extend of the Trident's power, so I'd rather not instill false hope within him. Yes, I fully believe the Trident will break all the curses of the ocean, but that theory can only be tested once we've found it.

"We'll just have to see, don't we?" I settle for that answer instead. "Would you have me call upon a wind so we can sail faster? Perhaps we can catch up with Sparrow before dawn."

"You'd do that?" he blinks.

"As long as no pirate gives me any dirty looks..."

"It'd be the last thing they'll ever do," he promises gravely.