TWELVE

Judging by the sun, I'd say I've been searching the horizon for about an hour now. And still, no ships have sailed past.

My shoulders burn at the sharp rays shining down on me, the dress doing nothing to ease my comfort. With this heat and no shade, I doubt I'll be able to stay here any longer than what is needed. Although the ocean can heal me, coming down with a sun-inflicted illness is never fun.

Damn, I miss my ribbon. At least then my hair would've been out of my face.

Another ten minutes or so pass before I decide to head back to the chilly darkness of the cave, already making peace with the fact that I'll have to live on two apples until the next day.

However, just as I gather the dress and lantern off the rocks, my eye catches a speck on the horizon. Bringing the spyglass to my eye, my heart nearly jumps out of my chest.

A ship!

And not just any ship - a pirate ship. A big one... which means they must have enough food and supplies to last one person for several weeks.

Knowing that they're pirates, a bunch of pillagers and thieves, makes it slightly easier to lure them to their deaths. Having their blood on my hands doesn't sit right with me still, but on the other hand, they would've been hung at the gallows anyway if the Navy caught them.

In a flash, I unfold the dress to reveal the piece of driftwood rolled up inside. Next, I tie the sleeves to the wood before, finally, tilting the lantern over it to cover the material with oil.

"Please let this work," I whisper and allow the flame to lick the soaked dress.

It only takes a second for the dress to ignite and create the burning signal I was aiming for. Now, to bait the pirates into 'saving' me.

"Help!" I scream at the top of my lungs and use the wind to carry my voice into the distance to ensure they definitely hear me, "Over here! Help me, please!"

Along with my yelling, I wave the burning dress around frantically to capture attention. Holding the spyglass in front of my eye, my heart picks up in speed upon noticing the ship turning towards the Triangle.

On to the next phase of the plan - getting them here faster.

Using one hand, I still wave my makeshift flag while the other guides the wind to fill the ship's sails to increase its speed. Once it is close enough, I double the effort by creating a current in the ocean to keep the vessel on course, making sure it won't stray from the Triangle. It needs to enter the cave for the crew to attack it.

At last, the ship glides through the rocks near me and I am met by dozens of blood-shot eyes staring at me from over the banisters. I want to shrink into myself at the hungry, disgusting looks I'm receiving. This takes me back to the nights I spent in the barracks with all those prisoner scum calling me out.

"Lookie what we got 'ere, lads," the captain, I assume, grins and saunters along the banisters, "A pretty Polly in need of our assistance."

The crew snickers at whatever vulgar thoughts they're having.

Focusing on staying in character, I force myself to tear up, "Oh, thank you so much for coming to my aid. My ship... it sailed over the rocks inside the cave... we're stranded."

"And what ship do ye sail, Polly?" The captain inquires.

"A simple cargo ship," I sniffle, "Please, if you can help me and my father and brothers, we'll pay you kindly. We have gold and jewels - and lots of wine. The good kind."

"Hear that, lads?" He calls back to his filthy crew, "Wine, the good kind!" They burst out in laughter and I almost think my plan is failing, until the captain sends me a wicked, yellow-toothed grin, "I dinnae see a reason to turn down a pretty face and an offer like yerselves. Do c'me aboard, Polly."