The End

• Dedicated to my lovely buttfaces <3

The End

ADRIENNA-JOSEPHINE

Ever since I can remember, I've wanted a family. A real family. Not just my mum and my grandmother and me. I wanted brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles and cousins, just like all my friends had. I wanted a dad, most of all, though. There was never anyone to write a father's day card for, or to call me nicknames meant for boys like "sport," and "buddy." There was never anyone to tell me bedtime stories when mum wasn't around, or to check for monsters under my bed. There was no one to go on trips to the zoo or adventures at the park with. Nobody to teach me to ride a bike or play catch.

Three weeks ago, I turned eight and three quarters. Four weeks ago, I lost a tooth. Five weeks ago, I finally learned to ride a bike. Seven weeks ago, Louis asked my mum if she'd marry him. Ten weeks ago, mum asked Louis if he'd move in. Eleven weeks ago, Louis asked me if it was okay if he was my father. Eleven weeks ago, I said, "Of course."

Today, I am wearing another very fancy dress. I am straightening Niall's tie, buttoning the middle button Zayn missed on his shirt. I am helping Liam pick the right socks, helping Harry choose a proper set of cuff links. I am telling Louis over and over that he will not mess up or trip over his words or say his vows wrong or bang noses with my mum when they do the "you may kiss the bride" bit.

Today, I am telling my mum over and over that no, she does not look fat in her gown. Yes, I am sure I'm happy Louis is my dad. Yes, I am sure she looks great. No, she does not need more hairspray. Yes, she should sit down if she feels faint. No, I do not want to change my mind about Louis being my dad. 

Today, I got to walk down the isle with Niall. Hold his hand as my mum's Maid of Honor. I got to smile proudly because I knew everyone would think my mum looked beautiful. I got to smile because Louis was going to officially be in my family, be my dad now. I got to smile because Niall told a funny joke-- and hey! Niall's going to be my kinda-sorta uncle now. 

Today, I stood next to Emma and Shannon and my mum's friend, Grace From College, and I waited for the special music to start, and I waited for my mum to open the doors and walk through the church, up to Louis, and marry him.

Liam made a silly face at me from across where he was standing, between Zayn and Harry. Louis' friend Stan made a face at me too, and I couldn't help it; I made one back. Grace From College laughed at me. I must've pulled a very funny face. 

The special music started and everyone in the room turned around at the same time, turning to look at the doors. They opened really slowly, so I turned to look at Louis, who at first just looked happy, but then, looked bewildered and joyful, which are words that Grace From College uses.

Mum looked like a princess. She made her red hair curly like mine and she wore a little tiara that she let me pick out for her. Her dress was so big and poofy that I could probably get lost inside, and so bright white that it looked like snow had fallen very quickly and turned into a dress. 

I heard a few people breathe in very sharply, so I let my eyes flutter over the packed crowd of familiar faces; grandma, Louis' mum, Louis' sisters, Harry's family, Niall's family... everyone was here. There was mum's old "work friend" and there was Marcy and Tom. There was Freddie from the bakery and the princess from the pirate show. There were Grace From College's twin babies and their daddy, Michael From College. 

I stood very still while Mum and Louis smiled at each other and repeated words and smiled some more. I was very quiet and I tried to listen, but at some point, the words were very super huge ones I didn't know, and so I stopped listening and started just watching instead. I watched Liam tearing up, and Louis' mum in the crowd, too. I watched Niall grin like he was the one getting married. I watched Harry smile fondly and tilt his head from side to side as he watched. I watched Grace From College blinking really quickly with shiny eyes and for a while, it looked like she was going to cry too, but she bit really hard on her lip and it started bleeding, but her eyes weren't so shiny anymore.