Chapter 67

Emma POV

Hazel and I walked out of the dining hall. I could feel Mason’s eyes on me from the moment we left the table and until Hazel closed the door behind us.

I wish he didn’t worry so much.

Hazel’s phone rang, and she pulled it out of her back pocket.

“My mom is calling.” Hazel mumbled as she looked down at her phone. “I have to answer.”

“Go ahead.” I said, opening the bathroom door. “I will be out soon.”

Hazel nodded, picking up the call. I saw her walking away before I walked into the bathroom. I closed the door and walked to one of the stalls.

I did my business and walked out of the stall to wash my hands.

I heard movement behind me just as I grabbed the paper towel to dry my hands.

“What did your mom want?” I asked, thinking it was Hazel.

When I got no response, I looked over my shoulder.

Annie was standing behind me, eyeing me up and down.

When did she get here? I didn’t see her in class. Someone said that she was taking a little more time off, which was completely understandable.

I was glad to see her, though. I wanted to talk to her and apologize. I wanted to tell her how sorry I was for everything that happened. I thought about calling her sooner, but I wanted to give her some time and space to heal. Hearing from the person responsible for your suffering is not the best way to heal from trauma.

“Hi, Annie.” I said, turning around to look at her and giving her a small smile. “I’m sorry. I thought you were Hazel.”

She didn’t say anything. She continued to stare at me. I furrowed my eyebrows slightly, but I kept smiling at her.

“I am really glad to see you.” I said softly. “I wanted to call, but I thought it would be better to give you some time to heal from everything. I am really sorry about what happened. I wish I could take it away. You didn’t deserve that. Melissa and Daisy didn’t deserve what happened to them. I am really sorry that you had to go through that because of me.”

Annie tilted her head and narrowed her eyes at me.

“What is it about you, Emma?” she asked quietly. “Why did he choose you?”

My stomach flipped and my heart stopped for a second. He chose me because I looked like the doll he had when he was a child. He chose Annie because she looked a little bit like me. I wasn’t going to tell her that, though. It wouldn’t help her. She didn’t need to know that.

“I don’t know, Annie.” I said, shaking my head. “I really wish that he hadn’t chosen me. I wish that he got help earlier and that none of this happened. I wish that Melissa and Daisy were here with us and that you didn’t have to go through that.”

“Of course you do.” Annie chuckled, clenching her fists.

She looked angry, and my heart broke for her. I completely understood why she was angry. I deserved her anger. I was responsible for everything that happened to her.

“Did you like my gift?” she asked coldly.

Gift? What gift? I didn’t receive anything from anyone. Did she send me something?

I was just about to ask her what gift she was talking about when I heard the bathroom doorknob twisting. It was probably Hazel.

I looked to my right, but the door remained closed.