Chapter 50

Mason POV

“Emma!” Hazel exclaimed as soon as we entered our dorm room.

She ran to her and wrapped her up in a hug. Emma chuckled and hugged her back.

“I missed you!” Hazel said. “How are you? I am so glad that you are back. Mason didn’t let us in, but I was in the hospital all the time!”

“Breathe, Hazel.” Emma laughed. “I am okay. I know you were there. Thank you so much.”

“You don’t have to thank me.” Hazel said, pulling Emma to sit down on the bed. “That is what friends do.”

I grabbed our bags and started putting my clothes in the closet.

“Why are you putting your clothes in there?” Emma asked.

“This is our room now.” I said, taking another shirt and folding it as neatly as I knew how to.

“Really?” Emma asked, surprised. “How?”

“Guilt.” I shrugged. “The principal felt so guilty after what happened that I didn’t even have to offer him money.”

“When did you talk to him?” Emma asked. “I was with you all the time and I never heard you talking to him.”

“You were sleeping.” I said, walking toward Emma’s bed.

I took her clothes out of the bag and started folding them.

“But where will you go, Hazel?” Emma asked.

“The room next door.” Hazel answered. “I won’t have a roommate, but that’s okay. I don’t mind being alone. I didn’t have a roommate before you came here.”

I opened Emma’s closet with the intention of putting her clothes inside, but what I saw in there made my stomach twist.

It was the white dress she was wearing that day.

The anger exploded inside of me and I saw red.

“What the fuck?!” I shouted, gritting my teeth.

“What’s wrong?” Emma asked worriedly, and I could hear her walking toward me.

I couldn’t take my eyes away from the dress.

My doll.

She belongs to me.

Say goodbye.

She is mine.

In life and in death.

Every fucking thing he ever said or wrote replayed in my mind. I felt like I was going to pass out.

“Mason?” Emma called me softly as she placed her hand on my arm.

I couldn’t look away from the dress.

You are perfect.

I can’t wait to have you again.

Dolls always come back to their owners.

Emma followed my gaze and gasped quietly when she saw the dress hanging there.

I couldn’t move.

You were always mine, my little doll.

Nothing will stop me from taking you back where you belong.

It won’t be long until you are back in my arms.

Emma grabbed the hanger and pulled the dress out of the closet.

“Take this outside, Hazel, please.” Emma said softly.

I heard Hazel walking toward us. I heard her opening and closing our bedroom door.

I still couldn’t move.

I couldn’t see the dress anymore, but I still stared at the spot where it was hanging just a few seconds ago.

My doll.

Mine.

You have always belonged to me.

Emma took the clothes out of my hands and threw them in the closet. She came to stand in front of me.

“Massy?” she called me softly.

I couldn’t respond. I watched as one of the shirts I folded a few minutes ago fell from the pile of clothes Emma threw in the closet.

“Mason?” Emma called me again, and I could hear the worry in her voice.

I couldn’t respond. I watched as the pile of clothes tilted to the side. I just folded those.

She belongs to me.

You can’t protect her from me.

Emma placed her hands on my chest and pushed me to sit down on the bed. She grabbed my face with her hands and forced me to look at her.

The same pair of blue eyes as mine stared at me, and I could see how worried she was. I wanted to hug her and tell her not to worry, but I couldn’t move.

“He is gone, Mason.” Emma said. “He is locked up. He can’t hurt anyone anymore.”

I knew that.

Why couldn’t I move then?

Emma caressed my cheek softly. She leaned in and kissed my forehead.

“He is gone.” she repeated. “He is never coming back here again, Mason.”

She moved back and looked at me again.

But what if he did come back? What if he escaped? What if he hurt her again? What if he took her away from me?

My heartbeat became painful.

No fucking way.

I grabbed her arms in a tight grip. I wanted to pull her to me, but my body wasn’t listening to me.

I heard the door open and multiple footsteps walked inside.

“Mase?” I heard Chris’ voice calling me.

I couldn’t respond. I was staring at Emma, tightening my grip on her arms even more. Why couldn’t I move and pull her closer?

“What happened?” I heard Jax’s voice.

“He saw that dress.” Hazel mumbled quietly.

The fucking white dress!

My doll.

I tightened my grip on Emma even more.

“What the fuck?!” I heard Chris shout angrily. “Who put that in there?!”

“I don’t know.” Hazel mumbled.

“Probably the cops.” Jax sighed.

“Assholes.” Chris mumbled, and I heard him walk closer to Emma and me.

I wanted to pull Emma to me. I still fucking couldn’t.

“Mase?” Chris called me. “Come on, man. Snap out of it. The fucker is gone.”

I knew that.

But what if he came back?

My grip on Emma’s arms was so tight that I could see my knuckles turning white.

“Mason.” I heard Chris’ worried voice. “You are hurting her. You need to let go.”

He grabbed my arm and tried to pull it away.

I was hurting her?

I finally felt my body move. I let go of her and I wanted to scream.

I hurt her?

Emma let go of my face and took a small step back.

I hurt her and she didn’t want me close?!

No!

I didn’t do it on purpose!

“I am so sorry, Emma.” I managed to whisper, reaching out to her. “I didn’t mean to. I am so sorry.”

She took my hand in hers and rubbed small circles on my palm. That was a good thing, right? I stared at her hand in mine, unable to look away.

“Can you guys leave us alone for a few minutes, please?” I heard Emma ask.

I heard our friends mumbling something. I heard their footsteps as they walked away. I heard the door opening and closing.

Emma stepped back toward me and sat down on my lap. She grabbed my face again and made me look at her.

“I am sorry.” I repeated again, my voice raspy. “I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

“You didn’t hurt me.” she said, shaking her hand. “I am okay, Mason.”

But I grabbed her too tightly. I did hurt her.

“You didn’t hurt me.” she repeated softly. “He didn’t take me away. He will never take me away. I am safe. I will never leave you. I will always be right here, Massy.”

I took a deep breath and tried to push his words out of my head and replace them with hers.

He will never take me away.

I am safe.

I will never leave you.

Emma kissed my cheek and pulled me into a hug. She wrapped her arms around me as tightly as she could. I managed to move my arms and I wrapped them around her, pulling her closer.

She was right here.

“You are safe.” I mumbled, burying my nose in her hair.

“I am safe.” she repeated softly.