Chapter 17

Emma POV

My heart felt completely shattered.

Why would our parents do this to us? Just because they didn’t want to see each other? Is that even possible? Did dad lie? It just seemed crazy.

My head was buried in Mason’s neck. I was holding on to him like he was a lifeboat. I just couldn’t let go. I felt like I would shatter into a million pieces if I did. Mason was holding onto me even tighter than I was holding onto him. I knew that he didn’t want to let go either.

I didn’t cry. I was too shocked to cry.

“We need to call mom.” Mason said, making me stop breathing.

Shit.

I should have known that he would want to call her. What the hell should I do?! I can’t tell him the truth.

“Emma.” Mason called me when I didn’t answer.

My breath got stuck in my throat and my heart beat picked up. I couldn’t answer him.

Mason pushed me away gently. He looked at me and furrowed his eyebrows.

“What’s wrong?” he asked me, studying my face carefully.

“Maybe… Maybe we should do it another time.” I stuttered. “I can’t talk about this anymore.”

“I want to talk about it, Emma.” Mason said angrily. “I need to hear what she has to say for herself.”

I picked up a strand of my hair and twirled it between my fingers.

“She is probably working right now.” I mumbled. “We shouldn’t bother her.”

I had no idea if she was working or what time it was where she was staying. It was the first thing I thought of as an excuse.

Mason narrowed his eyes, and he looked at the strand of my hair between my fingers. I froze and stopped twirling my hair. Does he remember?

“Why are you lying, Emma?” he asked, looking back up at me. “Did you think I wouldn’t remember? I know you. I know what you do when you are nervous, sad, and lying. I know everything about you.”

I gulped and my eyes widened. Shit.

“Now, why don’t you stop lying to me and tell me what is going on.” Mason said, pulling the strand of my hair out of my hand.

“Nothing.” I mumbled as I tried to get up.

He pulled me back down onto his lap and tightened his arms around me.

“You are not leaving until you tell me the truth.” he said sternly. “Why don’t you want to call mom?”

I stared at him, unable to breathe. I tried to come up with a good excuse, but my brain was empty. It felt like it was completely shut off.

Mason’s stern gaze turned into a worried one. He rubbed my back soothingly.

“Emma?” he called me softly. “What’s wrong? You can tell me anything.”

I took a deep breath and tried to think of a way to give him as little information as I could.

“Mom won’t answer her phone.” I said quietly.

“Why?” Mason asked, studying my face.

“Because she is working.” I said quietly, resisting the urge to twirl a strand of hair between my fingers.

“It’s an important call, Emma.” Mason said. “She can take a break from working to talk to her daughter.”

My heart drummed against my rib cage. Why couldn’t I just tell him the truth?!