12.Portals.

"Are you insane?!" Zitrinna whisper yelled, absolutely horrified at the idea her son was suggesting.

"Mother!" Judice shushed and looked around them again just to be sure they were still alone. "It's the only effective way of getting what we want."

"But Daeken?!"

"Yes mother. You're forgetting that the mutt isn't the only one in our way. Our biggest obstacle is actually Neine."

"But she's a god!"

"Exactly! That's why we need the help of another god. You know how devoted father is towards Neine." Judice reasoned with exasperation, hoping his mother will see the logic behind his plan. "This way, we can get rid of them both, and father will be all yours."

Zitrinna rubbed her temple in thought and muttered, "You definitely inherited Pye's manipulative nature."

Judice chuckled at that. "So you'll do it?"

After a pause, the Captain of Hell sighed and nodded. "I will try. Daeken is a difficult man to negotiate with."

"Be careful mother. I would have gone myself if I was allowed to leave Hell."

Zitrinna smiled at the worry clear on her son's face, and couldn't resist messing up his hair again. "I'll leave now then. Keep the Commander occupied."

"Of course mother."

~

The Commander of Hell floated on a big bubble near the ceiling of the servant's dining hall, stacks of books rested on top of smaller bubbles floating around him. He liked to bring his work here once in awhile, the chatty atmosphere kept him awake and he could eavesdrop on some of the servants' conversations. Of course, he had casted an invisibility spell around him so no one could see or smell or hear him.

Reading off a page of one book, Joker made another note on the parchment in front of him. It was nearly full with his neat cursive writing, and only a little section at the bottom offered him more space for more writing. But that was fine, he was pretty certain these were all the ingredients he needed to make the potion for Tiger. Detailed instructions were also noted on the sides for some of the more tricky procedure he didn't bother trying to memorize.

As he waved away his books and pen, Joker stretched out his tired muscles. As he did so, snippets of the servants' words floated up and caught his interest.

"...portal suddenly openin'! That's exactly what he said!"

"And I say it's damn straight impossible! You can't randomly open up portals in Hell." A buff demon argued, crossing his thick arms stubbornly.

"That's what I said." The first guy defended and shoved another forkful of food into his mouth. "But he swore by the Hell he serves that a portal appeared 'n demons came through."

A third demon sitting at the same table as them snorted skeptically, "I don't believe you. Who'd you hear this rubbish from?"

"My mate knows this guy whose boyfriend delivers goods there, she told me straight last night. Says he was in the guard house 'n overheard the guards talkin' about it."

The others laughed, "So it's one of those heard from a friend who heard from a friend kinda thing. The words probably got messed up by the time it got to you mate."

"No no," The first guy protested and waved his fork around to emphasis his words, "They were pretty worried. Says there's gonna be trouble and whether they should tell one of the higher ups."