Epilogue

The body resting behind Tyson shifted. Too soon.

Being back in their own Hell have returned the Commander his full powers.

Too soon, Tyson repeated to himself. His fist flexed open and shut nervously. Does he really have the guts to face Pye? Maybe he can still make a run for it to another world.

But then again, will he ever be ready for this inevitable confrontation.

Perhaps the Commander's wrath will be so great he will destroy Tyson; the measly servant who dared to brand him.

True Death.

Tyson's tightly balled fist relaxed.

Pye sat up silently from the bed Tyson was leaning his back against.

For too long, neither made a move nor sound.

Then slowly, as if his hands weighed more than he could handle, Pye ran his fingers through his hair.

Tyson's ears twitched as the blond let out a tired sigh. It almost sounded like relief? Impossible.

The boy had expected a blast of anger, not this dead calm.

"I should not have left." Pye's voice was soft, as if he was talking to himself.

Pause.

"Tiger." Again, no anger or resentment could be detected in the Commander's voice.

The boy slowly stood up and faced the man. His eyes scanned the other for any clues of emotion. Whatever Tiger had expected, it was not this almost gentle calmness he was faced with.
Suddenly ashamed, Tiger ducked his head and looked to the ground.

"No. Look at me."

Round blue orbs shifted up and locked with Pye's golden eyes. Eyes which should be sharp and glinting with anger, but which only held an empty tiredness. This wasn't suppose to be happening. Where were the biting words? Accusations? Pain?

Tiger's eyes began tearing up. He couldn't stop it.

"First, I am not angry." Pye began slowly, his tone still even.

"Second, you may become attached to another. But until the end of your existence, the only being you will ever love is me."

Fat teardrops spilled and rolled slowly down the boy's cheeks. Tiger swallowed and stayed silent because he knew the inflated lump in his throat won't allow him to speak.

The indifference in those golden eyes hurts.

Pye blinked and looked away, as if giving the grieving boy a little privacy. "I am merely stating facts. This is not a ploy to emotionally injure you further."

Pause.

"Would you like to know why you are cursed to love only me?"

Tiger couldn't gave an answer. He was trapped in this body that just leaked tears. The water kept falling. His nails dug into the palm of his hands. His vision blurred the world in front of him.

Silence.

Pye looked down and studied his hand absentmindedly. His eyes were looking at something much further away; a memory of a long ago past.

"I am the one who ate your heart, your Core."

The silence that followed screamed.

The Commander's head snapped sharply to face Tiger. His voice became heated steel. "Do you understand me Tiger? Your heart is mine. Your love and hate are mine. No amount of denial; no matter how much time come to pass, will ever change the fact that You. Are. Mine."

The screeching quiet came to a halt.

Tiger's body began shaking. He let out a choked sound.

He wanted to break. Break into a thousand little pieces that can never be put together.

Just fall apart.

Shatter.

Scream.

Die.

Die.

End.

"Come here."

With just a single soft spoken phrase, Tiger's body moved on its own onto the bed. Like a dog returning to the warm embrace of its owner.

He stopped beside the demon who ate his heart. Head bowed deep, body shaking, broken sobs tore past his tightly clenched teeth.

Cold long fingers touched his wet cheeks, then cupped it lightly.

"Make peace with my ownership Tiger. "

With shaking hands, the boy pressed Pye's light touch on his cheek harder against himself. Almost crying into the other's palms.

"I can not love." Pye's voice was so soft, almost a whisper. "I am sorry."

~

The Commander waited patiently for the boy to calm down and release his hand. He watched as Tiger drew in deep breaths to stop the last of the flood.

After a moment, Tiger lowered himself onto the bed, back against Pye, and hugged his knees.

The blond ran his hand through the boy's soft, unkept hair.

"We are residents of Hell, thriving on souls of the dead. Their despair, fear, hate, pride, regret is what gives us power." Pye paused and twirled a thick strand of Tiger's hair around his finger. "You are no longer human. Give up that impossible quest for love and happiness. We are beings of a much higher plane. Such emotions are simply burdens."

Tiger's deep breathing eventually slowed. Then, as if letting go of a heavy sluggish weight, one last inhale.

Exhale.