18.Voice.

"Now, why don't you tell us about yourself Tyson. I heard you're about a thousand years old?" Dr. Anderson started. It was their first official session after the introduction meeting two days ago. Hibie had already gone to the park to play with her friends and both her parents were at work.

Tyson tortured his lower lips nervously before replying with a nod. To be honest, he was more on edge than he cared to show. Psychiatrists were supposed to ask hard thought provoking questions, but what if he couldn't handle them? It would be such a disgrace if he broke down crying in front of them.

His small hands played absentmindedly with the cool gadget toy the doctor brought over. Tyson never understood the joy of playing with childish that doesn't really do anything, until now. The little bit of distraction it offered was pretty calming for this occasion.

"Feel free to say whatever came to your mind today." Dr. Anderson added with a warm smile.

Nodding again, the boy licked his lips to soften the cracks. He did have a list of things he thought he would say. But now that he was face to face with the doctor, it was hard to remember. His thoughts raced from one thing to another, never pausing long enough for him to grasp onto a topic.

Seeing the creased forehead of the boy deep in thought, Anderson decided to give a helping hand, "So how do you like living here Tyson?"

I like everyone. The boy signaled while chancing a glance at Keith. It was weird to speak without letting out a sound, so he used what little sign language he knew whenever he could.

"How was playing with Hibie?"

It's different... It's been awhile since I played with little kids. I met some of her friends a few days ago.

"Oh? What do you think of her friends?"

Tyson rubbed his chin thoughtfully. They're cool; sort of hyperactive and random. The lynx guy was weird. He wanted to bite me.

"Bite you? Why do you think he would do that for?"

The boy shrugged. Maybe it's because I'm a dog. Cats don't like dogs, right?

The doctor's eyebrow flew up at the response, "You're a dog? A shapeshifter?"

Technically I'm a wolf. Tyson answered, and then quickly stopped himself. Or rather... I was a wolf.

"Was?"

The boy nodded without looking up and went back to playing with the toy.

"What happened?"

It took a long pause before Tyson could bring himself to answer. I lost it.

"Lost it?" The doctor was bewildered and looked to Keith for some support, "I didn't know it was possible to lose one's beast."

Having only understood Anderson's half of the conversation, the question completely threw Keith off.

"Tyson used to be a wolf shapeshifter, but now he's lost his beast."

"What?" Keith was just as baffled as the doctor. He never knew such thing could happen. "How do you lose it? It's like an integrated a part of you. What happened? Wait, did this have anything to do with being an experimental subject?"

The anger in the man's words made the boy shrink into himself. His body tensed up automatically, as if getting ready to receive punishment.

"I'm sorry Tyson..." Keith quickly softened his tone and reached over to calm the boy, "I'm just angry there are people out there who'd..."