Chapter 32: Dirty Scrubs

Edinburgh - Western General Hospital (Outside):

"Hey, Hun. How are you doing today?" asked Stefan, trying to use an optimistic tone to slightly lighten Caroline's burden.

"Not good... Not good at all, Stefan. I'm just so tired..."

"What's wrong?"

"Hope is still sleeping, and I'm just devastated. What if she never recovers from this?"

"Shhhh... Just chase away these vicious thoughts. Hope is okay, and she's in a hospital full of capable doctors. I'm sure she will wake up and go back to getting on your nerves in no time."

"I really hope so. I need her to wake up. I need to tell her that everything will be okay."

"And you will."

Caroline stayed silent, reflecting on Stefan's words, trying to regain her strength and dedication ... To no avail. She was feeling guilty and she knew that somewhere along the way she had messed up.

"Are you here already? Do you want me to meet you outside?"

"No, stay put. I'm coming in. We can have breakfast together. You're probably starving."

"Mmmmm... What about the kids?" asked Caroline, worry and anger interweaving and infecting her thoughts and words.

"Yeah? What about them?"

"Do they know anything?"

"I mean, hypothetically speaking, would it really be that bad?"

"Stefan..." answered Caroline in utter disappointment.

"What?"

"Just spill."

"I told Josie."

"Great. That's just what I needed."

"It told her without intending to do it. But she handled things well."

"Stefan..."

"I promise, Care. We had a long talk, and it was really nice, just like old times. I think I got through to her."

"Yeah, right..."

"I'm serious. I was sweet but also firm. I'm telling you, I really got through to her. She promised she would wait at school, and I believe her," said Stefan, his heart filled with pride. He was finally getting the hang of this, he thought and for once, he was the one saving the day.

"Okay, that sounds good. Thank you," responded Caroline in a slightly unconvinced tone.

"No need to thank me. I'm her stepdad. It's my job. Now come on, stop badgering that pretty little head of yours, and let's go eat something."

"A bagel does sound nice right about now... See you in 5."

Western General Hospital (Inside):