Seven

It wasn't very often that Robin Harper got ill, but it did always seem to happen around Christmas. Her nose would bung up, and her throat would get so dry she couldn't speak. Every bone would ache.

There was no way she could go into school. Jamie made sure he and Matt got there on time, and they would make sure that the substitute was working on schedule to her plans.

And though, when she was around everything was smooth sailing. However, when she was gone, the classroom descended into chaos.

It was a simple dance practice that fell to destruction. Oakmoor had been spying on them, and the St Bernadette's children attacked them when they realised. Thankfully, Robin wasn't there for the scheduled parents evening. She really couldn't be bothered to deal with overbearing parents. But Paul told her every sickening detail.

When the door had knocked, Robin had begrudgingly answered. She was wrapped in as many layers as she could, head down as she tried to clear away a headache. Then, when she looked up, she found her best friend stood there.

He had a Costa cup in his hand and a sheepish grin.

"Room for another one?"

Of course, she let him in, and snuggled back into her corner of the sofa. The cup was handed to her, and she smiled, gratefully. It was hot chocolate. Paul knew her better than she knew herself sometimes.

The Muppet's Christmas Carol was blasting from the video player. It was Robin's favourite, she had adored the muppets ever since she was a child.

Paul sat beside her, and immediately, Robin moved away.

"I don't want to get you sick." She mumbled, facing away from him.

He just pulled her closer, and hugged her tightly. Everyone needed hugs- especially Robin when she was ill. "You won't."

❄️ 🎄 ❄️

When Paul arrived home, he was feeling rather content. Robin had fallen asleep quite comfortably on her sofa, and he knew that the boys were both in their rooms. Jamie could take of Matt, should it have been needed.

In truth, he felt like his work was done. Robin was happier, and that was all that mattered.

Though, he wasn't sure why Mr Poppy was at his door when he got there. He was there to push Paul to call Jennifer. Of course, he didn't want to. But with some persuasion, it happened.

"Hi Jennifer, this is Paul, Paul Maddens. Ah, just wondering if you could possibly give me a call back. Uh, I have something to ask you, if that's alright. If you could give me a... love you."

Panicked, he hung up. All of the arm gestures that Mr Poppy had been doing bad confused him. Paul had never wanted to say that to Jennifer, and he could never take it back.

"What are you?!" Paul was furious, and screamed in a whispered tone. "Don't say that! Why did you tell me to say that?"

Cheerily, Mr Poppy replied. "It's a nice ending."

"It's not a nice ending. It's a totally inappropriate ending. What are you talking about? Why are you in my house?"

He was turning bright red with rage. Everything was messed up now.

His voice went high, nervously. "I'm just trying to help, Mr Maddens."

"Well, it's not helping! I haven't told her I loved her for five years! I haven't actually loved her in years!"

This was news to Mr Poppy. "You don't love her?"

"No!" It was obvious.

"Oh, who do you love?"

"Get out! What are you doing?"

Paul was furious, and Mr Poppy was curious. What were they going to do?

❄️ 🎄 ❄️

When Robin was back at school, the children were excited. Apparently music wasn't as fun if she wasn't there. Jamie had told her so before, but she still enjoyed hearing it from them too.

They were making a video for Jennifer, to convince her to come to the school. Paul wasn't completely convince by it, but knew he had to try everything he could to get it all to work. Robin had stated her disinterest.

And she spent all day teaching. She taught them rounds, or how to sing in a three part harmony. Even if it wasn't as good as a professional choir, they were charming enough.

During her fourth lesson of the day, Robin realised that she left some of the lyrics in the teachers lounge. She wasn't gone long, but on her way back, she saw something she wasn't expecting at all.

Paul was leaning against the wall in the corridor. At first, it didn't look too out of place. But then you could see him shake. And then there were whimpers. He was crying, and he was trying his damn best to hide it.

Robin didn't ask at first. She just wrapped her arms around him, and hugged him as tightly as she could manage. She kissed his cheek, and wiped his tears. Their eyes locked onto one another with sadness, so much so, that Robin felt she could cry just as much as Paul.

"What happened?" She whispered. She didn't care if he answered or not. Only that he was alright.

What she didn't expect, was the honest brutality in his answer. "I don't love her."

Robin was taken aback, and paused for a while. She didn't know exactly how to answer. "Isn't that a good thing?"

"Yeah."

"Then stop crying... you little idiot."

She kissed his cheek again before returning to class, the whole thing quite tentative. Paul meant the world to her, and for something to mess his emotions up like this was a travesty.

• - - •
1006
• - - •

Disclaimer!!!
I do not own Nativity. I do not own the cast or the characters. The only things I own are my changes to the storyline and my original characters: Robin and Jamie Harper. I do not own the character of Matt either, just the change that he is related to my original characters. Please do not copy my work. Any similarities to real life are purely coincidence.