Six

Gordon Shakespeare was an arse. It was as simple and as plain as that. Robin hated him, but by God, was he good at what he did.

There was an open night at Oakmoor school, and they knew that they couldn't ignore it. So, they decided to make a trip of it. Mr Maddens and Ms Harper knew that it might diminish the confidence of their cast. However, if they showed them some child powerhouses, they might try and live up to it.

That was the hope. Otherwise, they were listening to Shakespeare for no reason.

"Hello, everybody." The balding man stood at the front of their hall, microphone in hand.

Nothing had changed about him. He was still as obnoxious as ever. Robin just hoped that she wouldn't have to talk to him at all.

"I'd like to welcome you all to our Christmas Bazaar here at Oakmoor School. As you know, Christmas is a time for giving. A time for charity and valuing those people less fortunate than ourselves. So, I'm that spirit, I'd like to welcome the students from St Bernadette's School."

The subtle dig might not have been as subtle he first thought. It wasn't a good thing to pull off, and Robin knew that if he did anything else. Though, she was an inch away from getting up there herself and shouting at him for every wrongdoing in the last ten years.

It was an unfortunately good set list. Every single act was strong. That was the opposite of what they wanted.

The first thing was a girl, no older that Matt, singing Ding Dong Merrily On High. It was quite an elaborate composition for ten-year-olds. Robin never would have imagined giving that to their kids.

Was it bad of her?

Was she too pessimistic?

If she was, it was Paul's fault. She never used to be.

The other thing that stuck out in the mind was the interpretive dance routine. It was to a minor key of Silent Night, and the young boy doing the solo was fabulous. It was when Gordon got involved that the teachers got properly pissed off.

There was a lot of reluctant clapping. And then they left. Oakmoor School get like a disease, and they didn't want to be there longer than they had to be.

❄️ 🎄 ❄️

The power ballad had been the most fun thing to write regarding music for the Nativity. Robin and Jamie had worked tirelessly on perfecting the instrumental because of how much she enjoyed it.

Paul had loved it too, which said something. His music taste was limited, and pretty shitty.

She was sort of nervous to hear the children sing it, really. Matt hadn't found it too hard to get the hang of, but he didn't want to be Joseph in the first place. That way, he could do way more dancing, which was what he enjoyed.

So, they randomly paired off the children who did want to be Joseph and Mary so they could hear who sounded the best. Though, she was still nervous. This song meant a lot to her.

"Alright. How are we?" Mr Maddens asked William and Saffron. Their eyes were wide, and sort of afraid. But she had faith. "Are we ready to give it a go?"