Five

"We were very impressed with the auditions. Thank you very much for doing those."

Paul and Robin stood in front of the class, as happily as they could muster. It was their job to be supportive, even when there was very little to dote on.

"You're all so talented." Robin smiled, cheerfully.

"There was a wonderful array of skills on display, so, uh, you can all be very proud of yourselves."

"And because you're all so clever and good at all of this, we know you'll be able to do this song no problem."

Almost smugly, Paul replied. "I think it's quite advanced."

Robin was unpacking her violin, and her eyes widened. Beneath her breath, she grumbled. "It wasn't. What have you done Paul?"

He wasn't an accomplished musician in the slightest. Actually, most of the time, Paul could barely carry a tune. Even if he wouldn't admit it, he had much fun with Robin in the kitchen when they were cooking. It was a classic Sunday night thing for them. The boys enjoyed it too, especially Matt.

He didn't know a life without Paul, and Robin hoped he never would. They were a family. Perhaps an unconventional one, but that was what they were.

"Okay...so...." Paul prepared himself to demonstrate. "Things are going well in Nazareth. Our city is full of joy." He tried. "Right, and that goes into, uh..."

Before he could do anything else, Mr Poppy began playing the keyboard. Five chords that Ms Harper had arranged for him. Jamie joined in with his trumpet swiftly, trying his best not to laugh at the face Paul was pulling.

"Do you have to do that?" He complained.

Robin was flabbergasted, and shook her head. "It's you who's doing it wrong!"

"Fine, I'll..."

"It sounds good, doesn't it?" Mr Poppy continued the notes, and Ms Harper added the vibrato onto her violin strings. It gave the piece a whole new feel to it.

Paul fumbled trying to find his lyrics. "Right, yes, so we've got..."

Robin did feel bad for him, but the whole situation was hilarious. Really, she shouldn't have laughed, but it couldn't hurt. Mr Maddens did his best to sing the lyrics he had changed, but Mr Poppy was louder.

"Things are really cool in Nazareth. Cause this is where girl meets boy. Our city is full of joy."

"That's it." Paul huffed through his nose.

"Try it!" Jamie encouraged the children to sing it with him, and they did. And, they actually sounded pretty amazing. Robin hadn't been so proud in a very long time.

"Who thinks my song is better?"

"It's my song, Paul." Robin shook her head. And though he swiftly apologised, he still continued being angry.

"Anyone? This is far more linear. It's very dirge like. Mine is actually influenced more by Sondheim, but... okay, who prefers Ms Harper's song?"