Chapter 1

How long does it take someone to be okay with themselves after suffering a broken heart? For Aviva, six months. It took her six months to be okay waking up alone. Six months to recognize she was not the problem. Six months to try and love herself again. Six months to allow someone else to love her, too.

The memory of her Love Island application was hazy. It was about a month after her breakup. She recalled her best mates jostling her about on the floor of her flat, red-faced and giggly from the cheap vodka they'd found in the back of her freezer. They'd been binging the hit show on the telly, taking a shot every time Bobby booped someone's nose or whenever Lottie defied girl code. Three sheets to the wind, they'd somehow made their way to iTV's website and...

And now she was standing outside the famed villa, drenched in the Mallorca sun and ready to start fresh.

She could hear deep voices chattering away in the garden.

Alright, Aviva. You can do this.

She sucked in a deep lungful of air, holding it for a moment before slowly breathing out, shaking the nerves from the tips of her fingers.

You beat out over 100,000 people. You are beautiful. You are confident. You've fucking got this.

Aviva straightened her spine, pushed her shoulders back, and marched forward.

Two boys appeared in her line of sight.

"Here we go!" The first one chirped, rubbing his hands together. Aviva's eyes found his. He was quite tall and muscular, to boot. He swiped a hand through his blonde hair. His blue eyes glimmered in the sunlight.

"Oh mate, this is what I'm talking about!" The other boy's chocolate brown eyes crinkled, along with his dazzling smile. His brown muscles flexed as he sent a friendly wave in Aviva's direction.

Aviva allowed herself the small pleasure of ogling the men before her. They were both stunning, all sculpted muscle and sunny smiles. If this is what new beginnings looked like, she'd happily wipe her slate clean over and over again.

"Alright, boys. Glad to see you're so keen. My name's Aviva."

"Hello Aviva. Wow, aren't you a stunner? I'm Alfie – you seem like my kind of vibe. We'll definitely have a laugh."

Alfie's voice was as rich as his beautiful brown skin. His eyes were warm and sweet. They stayed trained on Aviva's face. He looked like he was struggling not to give her body another once over. His restraint was endearing, Aviva thought to herself. From the honest smile shining on his face, she could sense he had a genuine heart. He seemed eager to please, and she had a penchant for teasing. She couldn't resist messing him about.

Aviva raised a curious brow, a teasing smile playing on her full lips. "Really? Just a laugh?"

A frown instantly took over Alfie's striking features. "I mean! Hopefully a bit more than just a laugh, yeah." He sputtered in response.

Laughter bubbled at the base of Aviva's throat, and she tried hard to hold it in, if only to savor Alfie's delicious naivety a little longer.

"Relax, Alfie. Just having a laugh." Aviva reassured him with a wink.

A boyish smile appeared on Alfie's lips, and his hand scrubbed at the back of his neck. The blue-eyed beauty to his left took the brief silence as the moment to introduce himself.

"Well, my name's Eddie. Lemme just say you're my type on paper."

"You wanna lay it on any thicker, mate?" Alfie chided with a slight roll of his eyes.

"I'm just being real, man." Eddie contested.

Alfie laid a heavy hand on Eddie's taut shoulder. "I know, I know. I'm just winding you up, Ed."

Aviva tilted her head as a new thought entered her mind. There were three girls; she had met Dana and Kat just a few minutes before. It had only just registered that they were unevenly matched. The text Kat received hadn't specified the number of boys or girls. It did, however, mention a surprise.

Aviva never liked surprises. She was a planner, for sure, and the uncertainty of surprises wracked her body with anxiety. She hated the feeling of being unprepared, of losing control of a situation. Kat told Aviva she needed to 'prepare to be unprepared this summer'. The statement left a bitter taste in her mouth because she knew it was true.

Determined to claim some command of the status quo, she inquired aloud, "Is it just you two, then?"

"Disappointed?" Eddie queried seriously. Aviva took note of the slight tint of displeasure in the depths of his eyes.

Before she could offer some semblance of assurance, the sound of footsteps captured her attention.

Another boy with a familiar swagger and cocky grin made his way to the garden.

This.

This isn't what she'd expected.

Aviva really hated surprises.