Chapter #13 The Finals

The 8 Finalists stood together in the arena.

The replacement proctor, Genma Shiranui addressed the finalists. "Round #1 Shikamaru Nara vs Temari of the Sand will commence now, everybody else please wait in the waiting area."

"Let the Chunin Exams Finals begin!"

Temari waved her fan and created a giant gust of wind that gave Shikamaru several minor cuts on his body before he could jump away. Temari dodged out of the way of Shikamaru's shadow, noting the limits it has.

For several minutes, the two strategists stayed put, out of reach of the other's Jutsu and planned their move. Temari narrowed her eyes when Shikamaru's shadow snaked toward her again but widened them when the shadow past the previous limit.

"The longer this battle goes on, the lower the sun goes, and the wider your shadow's range will get," Temari noted as she dodged the shadow again, and remarked the shadow's limit.

Temari used her fan to block her from Shikamaru's view, deciding on her next move.

'I'll  use the Clone Jutsu as a diversion, and attack him while he's distracted.' Temari made the necessary hand seals but found that she couldn't move.

"Shadow Possession, successful!"

'What!? How!?' Temari thought as her body involuntarily stood up. She noticed Shikamaru's jacket that was tied to a Kunai fall to the ground as Shikamaru walked closer to her, making her walk closer as well.

"You used your jacket as a parachute, giving yourself an additional shadow to piggyback on."

Shikamaru smirked at Temari as he raised his hand, Temari's body following suit. 

"I give up!" Shikamaru called out. 

There was a moment of silence. "WHAT!?" The entire stadium chorused.

"You what?" Temari questioned flabbergasted.

Shikamaru's shadow lost its connection with Temari's as he lost the necessary Chakra to keep up his Jutsu.

"I'm out of Chakra, shame too, I had already planned out the next 200 hundred moves. Besides, even if I did get promoted, it would just mean more work. So you can have it."

"Round #2 Shino Aburame vs Kankuro of the Sand, will commence now."

After several minutes of cat and mouse, occasionally switching roles, Shino beat Kankuro, but passed out from the Puppet Master's poison, concluding the match as a draw.

"I'd be shocked if they both didn't make Chunin," Naruto commented.

"Round #3 Sasuke Uchiha vs Hinata Hyuga, will commence shortly," Genma announced. Hinata turned to go downstairs but was held back by Naruto who kissed her, wishing her luck. Sasuke rolled his eyes at the display but was also held back by Naruto.

Naruto grabbed Sasuke's arm tightly and stared into his eyes menacingly. "If you attempt to use a lethal Jutsu such as the Chidori..." Naruto trailed off, letting Sasuke's imagination fill in the rest. Sasuke pulled his arm free from Naruto's death grip and went down to the arena.

"Begin!"

Both Prodigous Clan Heirs activated their Dojutsu. The two collided with each other, first their fists and feet as they engaged in a Taijutsu match, then with Jutsu as they switched to Ninjutsu.

Hinata tried her best, even resorting to her Rasengan, but in the end, it was no match for Sasuke.

Naruto comforted Hinata when they got back upstairs. "I just know that you'll be promoted, it's simply illogical not to, and I know the Hokage knows that."