24

While it makes more than sense for the driver to keep looking at us in his rear-view mirror, I wish he'd keep his eyes on the road a little more.

I'm too full of different emotions right now to do or say anything. Yuki also doesn't seem to intend to say anything, despite the driver trying to get information out us again and again. 'You are sure it was a two of diamonds?' What a stupid question; as if the players of the game wouldn't know. As if the image of the poker card isn't already engraved deep in my memory. Yuki also seems annoyed by the boy. Without saying a word, he takes the card out of his pocket and holds it up, whereupon the boy looks in the mirror again, wide-eyed. 'Nine players,' he mumbles to himself, having seen the people go in, 'and only two got out...' He shakes his head in disbelief. 'Kenshin...' he mumbles with relief. I find it disgusting that he even looks at us relieved and impressed, but I find it even more disgusting that I understand that relief all too well.

Not only his friend, but also Kenshin tried to sacrifice and hurt me during the game. If it hadn't been for Yuki I'd be on the floor right now, with at least one arrow in my body. I try my best not to, but still I can almost only look at Yuki. I'm sure he's aware of it, but he keeps his gaze fixed to the side and continues to look out.

He knows my parents, I'm one hundred percent sure. He is aware that my father has his own restaurant and that my brother is no longer alive. Somehow he even knows that the date is very important to us, but how is that possible? Did he know my brother, too? I think of the most burning question that keeps running through my mind: why didn't he tell me he knows my parents and recognized me when we met?

'Two of diamonds,' the driver mumbles again when he has parked the car at the Beach and steps out in disbelief. Our car is surrounded by Beachers who curiously try to look inside, but through the blackened windows they can't see anything. Somehow vaguely I had heard that some people here bet on the return of the players who leave to play a game. My heartbeat quickens as I imagine they're all looking curiously to find out if Kenshin has returned as usual, or if he died miraculously.

Before we get out of the car, I say: 'Yuki, wait.' Reluctantly he looks my way. Why does he look like that? He made the decision to save me during the game and to hold me close to make sure I stayed safe, but he's been acting aloof ever since he noticed I know. 'Thank you,' I tell him. He should know what he's done for me. Not only did he save my life in that game, he also helped me find new hope and strength. It looks like he doesn't realize that. He nods briefly, to which he turns to the door and opens it. I want to discuss a lot more with him, but that will come later. Now I have to find Soran first.

'Huh?' one of the Beachers mumbles when only Yuki and I get out of the car. He tries to peek inside before I slam the door shut again, frowning at us. 'This is a joke, right?' Another steps forward to open the door again, to which he looks up in shock. 'What the fuck?! Where's Kenshin?!' Several people comment, but Yuki and I don't pay attention to it. I can still hear people whispering that it must have been a very high card. Without saying a word Yuki puts his card in Ringo's hand, who looks at the two of diamonds in surprise and shock. Yuki walks right on and disappears into the crowd, but I stretch my neck to see where he's going. Since I'm not that tall, I lose him right away. I ignore the unpleasant feeling I get.

'Two... of diamonds?' Ringo mumbles, not understanding when I, too, hand over my card to him. 'Yes,' I agree. 'Kenshin and Manari?' I shake my head, which tells him they didn't make it. The Beachers are going wild. Some get mad at losing a bet, but others freak out because they got it right. 'You beat him?!' someone shouts impressed. 'Wow!' They collectively ask what happened during the game, but I don't feel like talking about it.

'Is Soran back yet?' I ask Ringo, who can only stare at me in astonishment. 'Car number six,' I tell him clearly. 'No,' he finally says, 'car six hasn't come back at all.' That doesn't have to mean anything, right? The escape room also lasted an hour. Maybe this game is just taking too long and he'll be back soon. I want to wait here until I see the car coming, but here I am overloaded with questions from the Beachers who are in shock that Kenshin hasn't returned. 'You can wait in the meeting room,' Ringo suggests. I can tell by his voice that there is something he wants from me, but it's probably better than staying here, surrounded by the looks and questions of the others. So I nod at Ringo, who follows me inside.