Prologue - The Origin Story

[Word count - 924]

Your POV

Hello, my name is (Y/N) (L/N), and my childhood hasn't exactly been the best as far as I can remember. For as long as I can remember, I've spent most of my life in an orphanage. I watched as many of the other kids get adopted instead of me. But how come no one wants to take me in? Was I not the kid they're hoping to have? Did I say or did the wrong thing? Do they think that taking care of me would just be a problem?

There were so many questions surrounding this, and I don't have the answers to them. But the staff always tell me to give it some time, and that hopefully, someone will take me under their wing. But to be honest, I doubt that's going to happen...
_____________________________________________

Many years later...

Location - Orphanage, (Y/N)'s Room

Many years have gone by, and I am still living at the orphanage. At that moment, I decided to give up on that, and just focus on myself. I'm now a second-year high school student who is close to becoming a third year, and I got a part-time job to keep myself busy. My goal is to get a place of my own, and I am determined to make that happen.

 My goal is to get a place of my own, and I am determined to make that happen

Ms. Haruka, the person in charge of the orphanage, would often check in on me everyday just to see how I was holding up. And when I came home from my work, she did just that.

"Hey, (Y/N)-kun, are you doing okay?" She asked.

"Yeah, I guess I'm doing okay." I replied.

"Are you still thinking about not getting adopted?" She asked with a sad look on her face.

"Not at all. If anything, I'm pleased."

She raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Why would that pleased you?" She asked.

"I've spent the last few years hoping to get adopted by someone who actually wanted me, but by the time I became a teenager, I decided to give up on that and focus on myself for a change." I said.

"I see, and now you want to focus on yourself, huh?" She said.

"Yeah, pretty much."

"Well, if that is what you want, then I'll do whatever I can to support your decision." She said with a sweet smile.