- Alternate ending? : 10/04/22

♬༄ؘ

     As I pass through the hallway, my eyes wander to the large paintings pinned against the wall as if I've never seen them every day. I twirled my glass of wine before taking a small sip, continuing my steps towards the end of the hall.

An adoring smile creeps up to my lips when I gaze at the most priceless piece compared to them all. It was surrounded by an intricate gold frame with a decaying bouquet of flowers standing near it, yet it still managed to look beautiful even if a decade goes by.

"Staring at my handsome face again are we?" Suddenly, a strong pair of arms embraced my waist as he planted his face on the crook of my neck. I tried to shoo him away but I knew he wouldn't budge on how much I tried.

"Every time I pass through this hallway I just can't stop looking at it. It's as if our happy ending was painted to the flesh." He hummed in reply, taking the wine from my grasp to also take a sip.

"Anyway, how was work today? Did your friends go to that bar you were talking about?"

He shook his head, disappointment evident in his movements nevertheless how much he tries to hide it, especially from you. "They can't, you know that these times are way different from those years ago. They decided to have overtime."

"Why? What is your uncle going to say about this?"

"That he thinks we have another serial killer on the loose."

You gasp, countless memories flashing before your eyes that could make you pass out. The wine glass fell from your grip, causing a loud shatter as soon as it met the floor. Wonwoo holds on to you carefully and combs your hair in hopes to calm you down, letting you stain his shirt if ever your eyes start to water.

It was always like this, the memories flooding back to your brain that you tried so hard to diminish just always come back like they think they have always been welcome.

You never asked to witness those things in the first place.

"Wonwoo, I feel scared..." You stop when you sense his hug become much tighter, making it secure yet enough to be still comforting.

"I'm always here to sacrifice my entire life for you, you remember that right?" He whispers lovingly which causes your frantic heartbeat to calm. The overflowing tears come to a halt when you see that smile on his lips, the type of smile he says that you'll be the only person to witness.

Since Wonwoo confessed his deepest feelings in the middle of the dancefloor of your best friend's wedding, it felt so good that you refused to part away from him all throughout the entire dance. Even if people were waiting for their turn with the good-looking man they didn't know was doting on you, you made sure that they wouldn't have a chance.

"I love you Y/N," He pulls away to have a chance to wipe the tears clinging to your cheeks. You beam as you sink into his touch, your hand caressing the opposite side of his palm. "I love you more Wonwoo." You choke out.

"And please," You continue, "Stay safe. I don't know what to do if you're not here."

His smile melts into a painful frown. He can't also bear to imagine if you weren't there by his side. He used to think it was too late when he realized the strong affection that lingers around whenever you were in sight. He thought it was too late when he used to think your feelings towards Jeonghan owned your whole heart—

But he, fortunately, turned out to be wrong.

Sparing a glance at the huge painting of you hand-in-hand with him that is caged with a gold frame, he stares at the image of you wearing that white dress that could make him fall in love over and over again. He does the same at the flowers that lost their original colors, but he won't forget how you held them when you walked towards him in the aisle.

He was so lucky,

but he was too lucky.

Out of nowhere, a bullet flies through the window and straight to the vase holding the fragile bouquet.

A shriek escapes your throat and Wonwoo pulls you down with him. "Run to the bedroom! Hurry before someone—" Wonwoo was interrupted by a much louder commotion in front of them to see. An image of a black boot breaking down the window made Wonwoo more determined to protect what he only had left.

"Not so fast chief!"

Wonwoo pushes you on the back as you cower behind his wide figure. The man that just broke in pulls off his ski mask to showcase the face you believed that you have long forgotten, the embodiment of the reason why you still have those awful nightmares and why Wonwoo always forces himself to come home before you fall asleep.

"Alternate ending? Bullshit." Jeonghan immediately points his gun toward Wonwoo's chest but before he could pull the trigger, he was delayed after your husband was the first to shoot him due to his wicked reflexes.

"Haha... I see you've improved a lot!" Jeonghan exclaimed, clutching his shoulder to stop the bleeding.

"But still not enough like what I thought." Another set of noise erupts when another man shoots Wonwoo straight in the abdomen and a girl grabs you in the arm. You attempted to fight her off and hold onto your husband but her strength was something to be reckoned with.

Eventually, she was successful in pulling you away and you could only watch as the man kept shooting toward the man you love. You also kept on kicking and screaming but to no avail, it was useless when you see Wonwoo's eyes flutter shut.

"Jihyo, take Y/N to the van... I still have some stuff to do." Jeonghan firmly states and before you could be brought to the mentioned van, he places a chaste kiss on your forehead.

"I missed you so bad."

While you sat inside the vehicle, numbly replaying what had just occurred in your innocent home, Jeonghan was busy playing with his knife and slicing a priceless painting into mere pieces of shreds.

"What could I say? We are always meant for each other after all"

.

.

.

"NO!"

Your breathing was uneven and your heart was thumping in rapid beats. Your head was covered in sweat despite the coldness coming from the air conditioner circulating in the entire room. Your eyes dart around your surroundings for you to realize that you were in the comfort of your bedroom, not in some terrifying vehicle.

"Are you okay? Is it another nightmare?" Wonwoo's groggy voice snaps you out of your daze. You push him back to bed when you tackle him in a desperate embrace, pushing him to chuckle nervously and rub your back.

"Do you want to tell me what happened or do you just want us to stay like this for the rest of the night?"

Wonwoo softly smiles when he feels you nod your head against his chest, a green light for him to quickly pull the blanket to cover both of you in case you would feel cold. "You know that I'm always here for you. You're safe, I'll always be here to protect you." He murmurs close to your ear before stealing a small peck.

As you fell once again at the comfort of sleep and so does Wonwoo, a pair of eyes that yearns for what Wonwoo has could only stand by and watch what he sacrificed his everything for.

♬༄ؘ

i know this is a wonwoo chapter but happy birthday to our dearest jeonghan!! ;v; (hope you enjoyed this too how could i forgot that hehehhehehehe :])

- raine