#35: Ferris wheel

[play the music above when '~' shows up]

HAYOON

After falling in line a while ago, all of us got to compete against each other with a simple game of darts. After another set of minutes passed, Jeonghan eventually got the most points than us and obviously won. As all winners get, he immediately got the chance to pick a prize to bring it straight home.

After some thinking, he picked a cute yet weird giraffe plushie from the shelf.

"It's weird but also adorable at the same time, kinda resembles you in a way that I can't explain." I unconsciously commented as I pointed out.

"Really?" He raised his eyebrows that made him look at the toy again, giving it to me all of a sudden. "Here, it's yours now."

I tried to refuse his 'kind gift' but he didn't stop insisting. He didn't even show any signs that he would stop any time sooner. As a person that doesn't have any good reasons to use anymore, I shyly took the plushie from him and gave him a tiny smile and a small thank you.

"Thanks, I guess..." I mumbled my gratitude as he just smiled back.

"Hey guys, there's a basketball arcade game from afar. Does anyone want to try it?" Wonwoo suddenly turned to face us and waited for at least a response from one of us.

"Huh? Oh, it does kinda look fun and exciting to try. What do you think, Jeonghan?" We looked over and now waited for him to speak.

"Sure, I bet it'll be a good game like the previous one." He spoke, shrugging his shoulders confidently before we continued walking to it.

...

As always, we quickly fell in line as soon as we arrived and waited patiently for our turn. Sadly, when our time did come, we realized that there were only two machines that were available to use. We originally planned to play against each other in three as usual—

But it turns out that it will be only two people out of the three of us that are able to play, so after some very non-deep discussion, you guessed it, I backed out and let the two guys try it.

"By just the looks of this machine, I bet this is so easy to finish." Jeonghan utters as he stands in his position. 

"After this 3 minutes ends, you already know that I'm going to ace this one."

Wonwoo just laughed commonly and also composed his position. "If you're worried about this being another boring game, don't. I'll make sure to add a little struggle, expect it."

After their little pep talk, the countdown started as a few basketballs started to roll down to them. Each of them poured all their strength as they just went on to shoot their balls one by one to their separate rings.

After 10 minutes of playing basketball, a male staff member announced that the timer was done. They backed off from the machines and looked at their scores, the same as the male staff.

"Congratulations! You just surpassed today's highest score! Be free to pick any prize from that corner, the female staff there will be sure to assist you." The male staff beamed at Wonwoo, leaving Jeonghan behind him.

"Hahaha, thanks." Wonwoo scratched his nape and nodded.

I walked up to them and congratulated the two boys regardless. While Wonwoo talked with the other female staff, I examined Jeonghan's face shortly and he looked quite embarrassed and drained all his confidence. 

In order to lift his spirits for a bit, I carried on to praise him for all the 'good basketball skills' he did.

"Guys, I think I need to go." Wonwoo abruptly comes up to us, holding a cat plushie in the other hand while a phone in the other.

"What do you mean? Did an emergency happen?" I asked out of concern as he just shook his head.

"It's not anything serious but the chief just called me that he needed me for something and that every cop in our station was required. I don't have any choice but to go to them as fast as I can." Wonwoo explained.

"It's okay, you can go. I'll just tell mom about what happened and she'll surely understand. Don't worry about her Wonwoo." I gave him a reassuring smile as he did the same thing.

"Here, I was planning to give you this anyway so take it. I tried picking the prettiest one from the others and this kinda caught my eye, here." Wonwoo handed me a big cat plush he was holding while I hesitatingly took it.

"Ah, t-thanks."

After that very quick interaction, he ran to somewhere 'till he vanished little by little. I admit that it felt kinda sad that he wasn't able to join us anymore but I chose to look at the bright side. 

I looked at Jeonghan and asked him what he wanted to do now, which he answered swiftly.

"Actually, I overheard that you wanted to try the Ferris wheel earlier." He brought it up.

"Ending this day with a lovely ride doesn't hurt, right?"

...

JEONGHAN | FERRIS WHEEL

~

I and Hayoon walked in the Ferris Wheel's direction and I was really glad that the line wasn't that long when we appeared. At last, after another line, the people who were working there emptied a capsule for us and cued us to get in. We smoothly went in and as soon as the door closed, 

I knew it was time.

Days, weeks, months have already passed and I've been thinking a lot about my mannerisms whenever I'm around her. I clearly knew the amazing and the considered horrible things that I've done for my admiration towards her. 

And I admit, it's not avoidable

Since I encountered her in that alleyway, instead of following one of the most important rules of my father on that night, I chose to keep her alive in hopes that fate makes us meet each other once again.

And fate did.

"Hayoon, I know we just met months ago but just listen to what I'm going to say." I bit my lip restlessly while she just made a very muddled face.

"Hmm? What is it?" She tilted her head with curiosity.

As I just stared at her face, I completely lost my words from my grasp. I remembered rehearsing for this moment a couple of times in the hidden bedroom of my father's mansion but why can't I recall a single thing? Her face began to look eager as time passed by and I can tell she was waiting patiently.

I let out a comforting sigh to give myself some courage and looked intensely at her. I soon gaped my mouth open and spoke, confessing everything while I sat uncomfortably in front of her.

"Hayoon, since the time you saved me from those pests on that first day, I can't help myself but starting to feel things when it comes to you."

'No, it was when you were the first person who made me get the bravery and the one who made me realize that I can defeat him,'

'that my father is not a God.' 

"And after the times that we mostly hang out, that particular feeling just got bigger and louder. It felt like I wanted to be closer to you and I wasn't able to control it."

'No, I wasn't able to control myself.'

"So, Hayoon?" I called out for her name, making her flinch that made me chuckle nevertheless.

Before I could say anything, I looked over at the glassed window surrounding us and figured that we were at the nearest top of the whole Ferris wheel. I smiled from the discovery and now shifted my whole focus back to her once again.

"Y-Yes?" She stammered her late reply.

.

.

.

"I love you."