17

I shook Mike’s shoulder, and tried to get him to wake up. ‘Mikey, wake up baby, we’re here.’  His head turned, and his eyes cracked open, and then shut again. He pulled his beanie over his head and tried to curl up against the cold air blowing in, but I pulled it off his head, and tugged it over my hair. ‘Come on hun, help me get the bags in and then you can sleep, I promise. Come meet Lyd first though.’ He ran a hand over his hair, and slowly clambered out.

‘Ugh, it’s freezing!’ He shook his head. ‘Of course its freezing, its Vermont. Ok, where is Lydia?’ I looked around, but I didn’t see Lydia or Jaime. I heard a laugh float over the cold air, and I saw the two of them walking through the garage, Jaime carrying Mike’s duffel and dragging his along behind him. Lydia opened the door to the house in, and they walked in, chatting like old friends already.

Mike laughed, ‘Well, they’re getting along well.’ He walked to the back and picked up my bag. I moved as to take it from him, but he held it away from me, and I let him spoil me. I grabbed my sweatshirt and his jacket from the front seat, and locked the car. I started to walk toward the house, but noticed that Mike was hanging back. I turned around to look at him, standing about 10 yards away from him. The snow was falling heavily, and I could barely see him against the black trees that stood behind him. He was looking at me, wearing a shy smile.

‘What is it?’ He ran his hand through his hair again. He was nervous, and he looked it. He hesitated. ‘C’mon Mike! I’m freezing to death! What is it?’

He cleared his throat self-consciously. ‘Well, I just noticed something. When you stand under the light, with the snowing falling around you like that… I don’t know. You look different, like you’re from another world. Like some sort of winter angel or something.’ He blushed, and shifted the strap of my duffel on his shoulder. ‘I don’t know, maybe I’m still asleep.’ I laughed and walked up to him. I stroked his cheek softly, looking at all the delicate curves and dips in his face, soaking in the affection that poured from his eyes to mine. He smiled, and I whispered to him,

‘You’re wonderful, that’s all.’ I put my arms around his neck and pulled him close. His lip ring was freezing against my mouth, and his hands closed on my waist, the duffel sitting on the gravel driveway. He pressed his forehead against mine and we held each other, as tight as we could without hurting, protecting each other from the cold. He held me in his arms, keeping me warm even when I knew he had to be freezing. Our breath made clouds of mist that disappeared as quickly as they came.

‘Alex, you want to hear something totally crazy? Something completely and utterly insane?’ I laughed quietly, and told him I would love to.

‘I love you.’ His breath caught, and I knew he was waiting for my answer. I didn’t know what to say. He loved me? How could he love me? Little old me, the girl he had been fooling around with for a month? How could he love me?

That couldn’t be right. He must be overtired, or just confused. I was confused. Very confused. He loved me? That should scare me. A lot. But it didn’t. In fact, it made me happier than anything had ever made me before, because I loved him too.

‘Michael Fuentes,’ I whispered, ‘I am so glad you said that, because I never would have been brave enough to. I love you too. I don’t know what else I can give you, but I can give you my whole heart. I hope its enough.’