9

Part 9

He pulled the curtain across the entry to the room and turned to look at me. 'Here, let me get you some aspirin or something. That back must be killing you.' He reached up to a shelf to his right and pulled down a bottle of ibuprofen. He took out two and handed them to me, followed by a bottle of water. As I swallowed the pills, Mike plopped down next to me on the couch.

'I don't know when this wind is going to die down; it just seems to be getting worse. Would you be alright staying here for the night? No one sleeps back here, and this couch pulls out into a bed, it's pretty comfy.' He looked so worried about my safety. Now, I'm not a hopeless romantic, or even a very loving person, but his concern melted my heart, just a little bit. I leaned my head on his shoulder and held onto my arm.

'I'll stay. As long as it's alright with Mae and the guys. I feel sort of dizzy. Can I lie down?' He kissed the top of my head and moved to get up so I could lie down on the couch. I caught his arm and kept him there, and laid down on his lap. His fingers gently moved my hair from my face to behind my ear. He bent over and kissed my cheek, as softly as he could. My vision was darkening slowly.

'Mike, am I still bleeding?'. Maybe the blood loss was making me feel so weird. I felt him pull my shirt up my back, and after a moment he said,

'No, sweetheart, you're alright. Just try and sleep for a bit. I'll be right here.' I closed my eyes, and I was asleep.

-----------------------

Mike's POV

'Mike, am I still bleeding?' Her voice sounded so small, and so trusting. I pulled her shirt up and saw blood oozing out of the cut. It shouldn't be bleeding this much. I ddidn't want to scare her, so I told her that she was fine, she should just try and get some sleep. I felt her relax on my lap, and her breathing deepened.

I pulled out my phone and texted Vic. 'Call Jack, tell him he needs to come ASAP. Her back is really bleeding, she's out on my lap. Can you bring a blanket back here too, I don't want her to get cold.' I sent the message, and wiggled my way out from under her head. I pushed a pillow where my leg used to be, and pulled up the back of her shirt again, all the way up to her neck. It was worse than I thought. I couldn't do much about it, but I hoped the doctor who was on tour with us, Jack, could help. I was sure that the blood loss was why she fell asleep- she had been fine and full of energy before the wind picked up.

I couldn't believe she had gotten hurt. If I had never asked her to come this never would have happened. It was all my fault, she was injured and I was the reason. I knew that she didn't see it that way, but I felt horrible, guilty, pathetic. She would never want to see me again.

Don't think that I'm that guy who gets really attached to people, because usually, I never do. I let people walk through my life because I know if they care enough, they'll stay. But she was different. I didn't want to let the Fates decide if she was staying in my life. I wanted her there, because she was so different from everyone else.

Everyone has that list in their head, that shows what they look for in a girl or a boy, as a significant other or as a friend. My list had always led me to lots of druggies, lots of rockers, lots of people who would end up working at Starbucks or as a waitress in some small town no one has ever heard of. And I had always been content with that. But she wasn't like that. She didn't fit my list at all, and I still found myself wanting to be around her, talk to her, find out more about her. She fascinated me. She showed me that I hadn't even known what I wanted. She opened a door for me. I didn't want her to go, because without her, that door closed. I didn't want her to go, because without her I would lose a whole new color on the palette of my life.