3

I tossed my purse onto the bed and sat down to take off my Converse. 

'Thanks so much for letting me crash here, Alexis.' After an afterthought he added, 'Don't take this the wrong way, but this wasn't some trick to get me into bed, is it? I'm not implying anything about you or anything, it's just that a lot of fans do thing like that and I have a rule of not sleeping with fans.'

I laughed, not offended at all. 'I have a rule of not sleeping with band members, don't worry. My mother always told me musicians are bad news.' He grinned, and scoffed as though I had gravely insulted him. 

'Musicians are great news! At least drummers are. Singers are too loud, but we drummers are perfect.' He really was funny. 

I walked to my suitcase and knelt down next to it. Mike joined me and I asked if he wanted to borrow a shirt to sleep in. I'm about 5'8, so he would probably be comfortable in an oversize tee shirt of mine. He said he did, and I gave him a tee that said 'Hidden Ponds Stables' on the chest, and a huge pair of sweatpants that had 'TAMU' plastered across the butt. I went into the bathroom to change and when I came out I was greeted by a confused- looking Mike eyeing his appearance in the mirror that was hanging on the wall. 

'I don't think I look so good with something written on my ass. Do you ride horses at Hidden Ponds Stables?' 

I nodded. 'Horses are my first love; I'm going school to become an equine vet, but I'm not sure how I'm going to afford vet school. I'm considering switching to chemistry and finding work in a lab.' He turned and looked at me like I had just grown horns. 'What?'

'I'll bet you're the smartest person I've ever met!' He laughed and clapped his hands delightedly. He acted like a teenager, and yet he was 33 years old! I thanked him, and couldn't help but smile at this man who had so unexpectedly come into my life. 

I walked to the sink and tied my  hair up, so I could wash my face. As usual, my long, think, curly red hair was not cooperating, but I managed to put it in a sloppy high bun. I saw Mike in the mirror, and he was looking at me with a concerned look on his face. 

'What is it? Is something wrong?' 

I asked him through the washcloth that I was using on my face. 

'Well, wouldn't your boyfriend be mad that I'm staying here?' He looked startled when I started to laugh. 

'Please, me, have a boyfriend? I'm way to fucked up for that; my own mother told me she wouldn't be surprised if I end up alone. Not that I would mind that much. I'm not so good around people anyway. Would you mind passing me a towel?' he got up and brought me one of the towels from the bathroom. I dried my face, and turned to look at him. 

'Do you need anything else? I've got class at 9:30 tomorrow, I need to get some rest. I'll pull the couch out for you, but then I need to crash.' he said that he could do the couch, and thanked me again for letting him stay. I lay down and soon enough I was asleep.