16

I was stretched out in my seat, the back reclined all the way back and the radio blasting ‘Roadhouse Blues’. Mike was driving, and we flew down the highway to NYC. It was the season for holiday traffic, but we had managed to avoid the bulk of it, so far. We were running late to pick up Jaime, and Mike grimaced when his cell rang and ‘Barbie Girl’ clashed horribly with Jim Morrison. Jaime’s personal ringtone.

‘Let it ring. Can you text him that we’re almost there and that I’m driving? And tell him to enjoy Christmas in the city; it’s the best time of year. I laughed.

‘If there is any time that the city is a nice place to be, Its Christmas time. It’s the only time the place actually heel happy.’ Mike grinned, and then flipped off the car that had just swerved in front of him.

‘Fuckin’ asshole!’ He sighed and leaned back. ‘Traffic is horrible though. I’m making Jaime drive up to Vermont, and I’m sitting in the back.’ I shook my head.

‘Hell no! I’m not having the guy who is 6’1” squeeze into the back of a two-seater. I’ll go in the back.’ At the sight of his face, I knew he wasn’t going to let me win this one, so I decided on a compromise. ‘Ok, ok, I’ll tell you what. We switch every hour until one of us starts driving, then whoever isn’t driving switches with Jaime. Deal?’ The edges of his lips tugged upwards, and he nodded. We pulled up the long over-pass, and stopped in front of a very disgruntled Jaime. He was wearing a light leather jacket and ripped jeans, shivering and sitting on his suitcase, I hopped out and helped him get the bag under the tarp in the back, and told him that he was driving after I got us out of the city.

‘Good deal. I hope Mike is miserable in the back, that’s what he gets for making me stand in the freezing cold. He grinned at me and pulled me into a quick hug. ‘Thanks for inviting me! I could really use a vacation and a distraction right about now. How’s your back feeling?’

‘It is way better, thanks. And Lydia should be a more than sufficient distraction.’ He laughed, and slid into the passengers seat, and I closed the door behind him. I looked through the windshield and saw Jaime turn to greet Mike, who was crammed in the back, his long legs and arms squeezed into far too small a space. I sat down behind the wheel and pulled the door shut.

‘Hey! I thought Jaime was driving!’ I threw on my seatbelt, and turned my keys in the ignition.

‘Don’t worry, he will once we’re out of the city. But I grew up here and learned to drive here, I’ll get us out faster.’ I grinned as the truck roared down towards the highway. ‘You California boys would take hours to get us out of here!’ Mike laughed and Jaime whistled.

‘City girl, huh? How did you end up in Texas? Bit far from home, isn’t it?’ He opened the CD compartment and started going through the collection, humming to the music- ‘Holiday’ by Green Day.

I smiled slightly, feeling the familiar sense of melancholy settle on me again. The topic of ‘home’ seemed to be coming up a lot lately. ‘I said I grew up here, I never said it was home. My parents still live in White Plains, and they both work in Manhattan, so I didn’t want to be stuck in their world. So I left.’ Jaime stayed quiet, and when I looked in the rearview mirror, Mike was looking at me with worried eyes. He reached forward and squeezed my shoulder on the left side, so that Jaime wouldn’t see.

Jaime cleared his throat. ‘I get that. I’m sorry it’s like that, Alex. But you’ve got us! We’re cooler than any parents. And we both still owe you for patching us up!’ I laughed; glad the sadness was blowing away. I had been sad for far too long, and I had been happy lately. I wanted to keep it that way.

‘Thanks, dude. And Mike doesn’t owe me anymore, he’s been driving much more than his fair share for the past couple weeks. I owe him! You, however do owe me. That’s why you’re driving for 6 hours once we’re out of here.’ He groaned.